Hand braking a 4WD car?????

F

forester sti

Lads I'm mad to have a go at that auto test style thing that Ken Block is doing in his latest video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms

I have the baffled sump and lots of spare tyres :lol: but I would need to use the hand brake quite alot!
My car doesn't have DCCD but I have been known to use the handbrake in mondello a bit (Dunlop :icon_headbang:)
As far as I know, As long as the clutch is engaged then the front and back wheels are disconnected, Is this the case??
Spinning the wheels by hand isn't really a sure enough way to test because of viscous diffs and stuff,
So can anyone shed some light??
Thanks
Dan

AFAIK Dan your right in what your saying. Just handbraking without the clutch in a 4wd or rear wheel drive would probably just stall the engine or you'd just power over it! :thumbsup:

I'd say it would reck the diff's Dan as the have a set split on your Wagon which would be interfered with by the rapid slowing of the rear wheels.

Some Video that.

Hey Dan, by putting in the clutch it will only seperate the engine from gearbox if you know what i mean, it will have absolutley no affect on your front dif and rear diff as they will be all engaged, how tuff that is on a 4wd box is hard to say, i would think the big impact time is when you let hand brake off and you bang out the clutch with revs on, you could do the more simpler and ring the centre out of clutch plate or worse the clutch doesnt give and gearbox gets all the brunt of it. 4wd cant light up tyres like 2wd as easy unless youve crazy bhp, so cause wheels dont spin to take blunt off box, the box gets it.. i dont think i would like to be doing it myself, also Dan you will have to unplug your abs or if its like classic impreza the different individual wheel speeds will cause abs to fok up and wen you put your foot on brake pedal it wont move and you have no brakes, got a mouthful of briars one night myself with that little mishap :wall:

Bhp wise I'll be running mid 4's untill early next year then high 4's then,
Wheels light up hand enough at that!
If I dont clutch it and the centre diff (Which i assume is viscous) will rear bias the brake affect and help get the arse around!
What you think???
Dan

just sell that washing machine and buy a type r dan,you know you want too :multijump:

There's loads of type r's on track and doing this sort of thing,
The forester is different, That's why I put so much effort into her!
I don't mind things being awkward, It's worth the hassle!

@ Kenc. good idea disabling the ABS, Removing the apropriote fuse would do I imagen
Dan

On the DCCD in the Type R's when the handbrake is engaged the electronic diff automatically opens thus allowing the rear wheels to lock independently of the front. Not sure what the story is with the viscous center diff?

if you have a viscous centre diff your ok, have a video(thats how long ago it is) of my first legacy in mondello with many handbrake into drifty moments. had to use the handbrake as the brakes were that bad i couldn't transfer enough weight to get the arse loose. long term i'd be more afraid of pulling the brake shoe pins out of the backing plate than braking the drive-train if viscous only. if you have been handbraking it at dunlop and haven't ended up in the tyre wall i'd reckon you have a viscous :thumbsup:

Hey Dan, yea the fuse or the plug at abs pump shud have same affect, again Dan i cant say for sure with your forrester, i only ever had the classics. as far as the dif question i wont lie to you i cant really say for sure, i would imagine that as long as you hadnt got an adjustable diff and had it set to the full 4wd setting or whatever the closest setting to 50/50 is, i couldnt see it being a problem,
but then again when you think of hanbraking and the fact that back wheels wud be stopd and fronts may have to change from forwrd motion to reverse motion, and the fact that you cant tow a 4wd car wit front wheels off ground stopd and rears on the ground rotating as it ment to burst dif.. it makes it harder for me to understand im afraid.. i will try to ask eddie garry or some rally head for ya

I'll try suss what kind of centre dif I have!
Thanks lads!
Dan

Back