Best time to check your oil??

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
This will probably sound a bit stupid but best to be safe than sorry!!

When is the best time to check the oil levels? Is it in the morning when the engine is cold or just after a bit of a drive? I've never really been sure of what the best time was.

Also were on the dipstick shopuld you top up to? I usually leave it just below the F level.

Cheers lads. :thumbsup:

8:31am on a dry morning, preferably 13-17degrees outside with no more than 45% moisture in the air.

:icon_grin: :icon_grin: :icon_grin:

Good question actually. I think it would be best checking from cold. Let the engine run for about 5mins to circle the engine then switch off and check oil levels. Always on a flat surface. And on or just under the full mark would be spot on. But open to correction :thumbsup:

First thing in the morning, cold engine I would have thought. Most of the oil would have drained back into the sump over night.

Usually check it every sunday morning !
Before the engine is started, so that most of the oil would have drained into the sump over night as Andy said.

some say cold. some say hot to allow for expansion. some cars i see are lucky to get any at all :angry1:. i fill to just a smidge under the full mark when cold.

20 mins after driving...that gives enough time for oil to drain back to the sump, but as the oils still hot, its at the same density as it would b if the car was running.
Also, make sure its on level ground..makes a big difference!!

When the engine is stone cold pull the dipstick wipe it and dip again to check level. That's how all machinery is checked- first thing before it's started.
Not after the car has been running :icon_rolleyes:
Cheers
John

defo when the car has been sitting for a while to let the oil go back to sump.... if you dip it after the car has been running the oil will have circulated around the engine and youll think that its low when its not actually....

Back