BURNING OIL??

sidewayspaddy

Sunday Drivers
Lads if a scooby is burning oil will there be a smoke coming from it or is there anyway to know other than there been nothing on the dip stick.???

no oil underneath it, would be easily noticed as she is parked in the same spot every day.

Rite heres the full story. :icon_blahblah:

about 6 weeks ago i checked the oil and it was very low so i persumed the c***s in the garage hadent serviced it when i bought her, so i changed the oil and filter. checked the levels and everything was fine.Checked maybe a week later and still everything ok.So yesterday evening was giving her a once over water etc and checked the oil to find it was again way down on the dipstick (almost uncer the bottom mark) so i topped it up and it took a little over a litre to bring it back up.
So im just wondering where the fu*k is it going or have i the beginning of a big problem on my hands?? :ponder2:
Cheers

Never drives her really hard, an auld blast on an open road every now and then, could of done 800 to 1000 miles in the 6 weeks, roughly..

one ltre per thousand is within manufacturers limit, althou right on the limit. as a rule a stanard one would not use that amount. what oil have you in it.

fill it up, do a thousand miles and see how much it takes to fill then. i would definately get an acurate useage before i fear the worst. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry to much about it if it's burning that amount with that milage. They all burn a bit of oil due to the nature of the engine,
There's cars out there that burn that in a day :icon_omg:
Don't buy a rx 8 :lol:
Cheers
John

check your oil filter, i tightened too much and was leaking.
i changed it all again and its fine now.
could be something small.

If you dipped the oil straight after a spin in the car the oli wouldn't have had enough time to gather back in the sump so the dip stick would not give an accurate reading. Try waiting 10 mins before dipping it after turning the engine off and be careful not to overfill her as that causes its own set of disasterous problems!

Frawls

Back