vacum pipe or wot is it

noeler2006

Middle Lane Hogs
hey all, have a classic ra. had it on stands at the weekend and noticed what looks like a vacum pipe that runs from behind rad on d/s along inner arch down beside gear box where it splits into 2 one which crosses over to passinger side on the gearbox support rail, and goes into 2 small black boxes. il get pics at the weekend just wondering wot it is???? cause its cracked

thanks noel

the pipes are going to a black plastic pot fixed to d/s chassis leg in front of timing belt cover, does feck all, its kind of a charcoal filter thats all, 2 or 3 little pipes come off engine and are plumbed into it , it could recirculate some air but lets air be cleaned via charcooal and then brings it under neath car via pipes you refer to and the boxes you were on about are actually only the final fixing points and where the cleaned air escapes into atmosphere, :thumbsup:

I dont think it makes any difference at all to be honest, some people call em surge pots or surge canisters so there e4xact purpose in life i cant really explain, if the piping coming from bottom of pot into chassis leg and running along underneath body is broken it wont affect it a bit, its only piped that far away incase of a smell getn in to cabin from it, as far as pot goes i think i ran a car b4 without one, just un hook the pipes and see does it affect its tick over, if it does block them with a small bolt or screw or just loop em. some pots hav 3 pipes going into top and more have only 2.. far as i can remember jap sti has 2 and irish turbo has the 3... but think an irish 2ltr non turbo only has 2 like jap sti.. my experience is only with classics do. its a while since i had to mess with them but think i put irish non turbo to my jap sti.. hope that helps mate. oh yea and if you do un hook them and there no difference in tick over, watch for a pause like hesitation wen accelerating or just general difference in usual feel :thumbsup:

Back