Turbo Blows....?

Paddy scooby

Middle Lane Hogs
Hello Folks,

What is it that blows turbos? The reason I ask is that I was on the way home yesterday and a vaccume hose came off the boost controller and the boost shot up to 1.8bar boost. It did that a few times (as i was just checking was it me or was the car a hell of of alot faster...! :icon_grin:). I always have the boost set at 1.35bar but there is a 'GO RAPID' mode on my boost controller that is just mental. You can really control alot of aspects as to when the boost comes on and at what levels at different RPM's. I can set the boost up to that pressure and the turbo has no bother getting it but I just dont think its safe so I set it back down to 1.35bar.
Anyone any views? :ponder2: :ponder2:

Paddy

You don't wanna end up like this: :icon_nana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cditc9akZ9M&feature=related

but to be more precise, this is called overboosting. Overboosting is when you run too much boost in your car and you do not have other adequate engine modifications to handle the extra boost. Severe engine damage can occur from overboosting such as damaged pistons, valves, cylinders, etc. An example is running over 1.1 bar of boost without having an upgraded fuel system. In this example, you will effectively max out your injectors and risk fuel cut. Another result of high boost without mods that can control detonation are increased EGT's (exhaust gas temperatures - a very bad thing if they go too high).

Also called: Knock, in a nutshell, detonation or pre-detonation as it's also called, is the combustion of the air-fuel mixture in a cylinder when the piston is at a position other than TDC (top-dead-center). Other than running an engine without oil, there is probably nothing that you can do that is more detrimental to an engine than detonating it. In an ideal combustion cycle there is controlled burning of compressed fuel and air. During detonation there is an exploding of the mixture regardless of where the piston is in its stroke. If the explosion occurs early in the compression stroke then the piston will be forced up against the increased pressure of the combustion mixture and will result in a form of abnormal combustion referred to as pre-ignition. Clearly you can see how this condition can adversely affect the pistons, rods, crankshaft, and bearings - the most precious of all engine components. This condition puts the engine under abnormal stress and can be very harmful. (See film above!) :icon_hang:

Fairplay so...! Dead on, only did it a few times but I did check the injestor duty on the Power FC and it was at 89%. Better off sticking to what shes mapped for id say. But that go rapid mode is some laugh telling ya, you can get nearly full boost in low gears just over 3000rpm in it and pull the whole way up the rev range. Anyway thanks for the advise folks.

Paddy

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=10616.msg126203#msg126203 date=1225832643]
mmmmmmmmm :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
[/quote]

Is that your professiona l opinion Dave??? :lol: :lol:

Good stuff Akki, Also Overboost would lead to the air/fuel mixture running lean and hence hotter, potentially melting a hole in the piston,
Not to mention putting the main shaft of the turbo under more stess than it is designed for leading to collapsed bearings and destroying compresser and turbine wheels and housing!

Stick to what ever she is mapped to my freind! :thumbsup:
Dan

Back