New ECU for Version 4 WRX 98??

K

kenny421

Howdy boys,
After getting a 98 WRX (in my introduction thread) and i need to get it
re-mapped asap as i don't believe it ever was! Now the car is running 100% but i know
how tempremental they can be so here's the question:

I was told that you need a standalone ECU to re-map for our fuel before Version 5 where
the standard ECU can be mapped, so i'm just wondering what choices i have and which do
you guys find works best? I've had Power FC thrown at me loads so looking for other choices
too!

Also wondering what you lads find is the best place/tuner to re-map my car!
I'm not loaded either but any help and info would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kenny, talk to Dave in STi Tuning (Traders section) or Damo in Street Performance, they'll answer any questions you have!

[quote author=RoB4 link=topic=10404.msg123660#msg123660 date=1224844229]
Kenny, talk to Dave in STi Tuning (Traders section) or Damo in Street Performance, they'll answer any questions you have!
[/quote]

Cheers Rob, must give them a shout so! :xmas_cheers:

Talk to Dave at STi Tuning.

If money is tight then probably go for the Apexi Power FC which Dave can get fitted and remapped for you. He also has the option of the Simtek ECU with anti lag and launch control. A little bit more expensive though.

If its a 98 then would it not be only mapped for 98 octane? Therefore it wouldnt be a problem just running it on maxol E5.. and even normal 95 unleaded as i've been told that the ECU can retard itself 3 degrees.. In saying that, you'll need to remap it if there are any mods on the car

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=10404.msg123675#msg123675 date=1224847556]
If its a 98 then would it not be only mapped for 98 octane?
[/quote]
:ponder2:

are 99s mapped for 99 octane? :ponder2:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=10404.msg123675#msg123675 date=1224847556]
If its a 98 then would it not be only mapped for 98 octane? Therefore it wouldnt be a problem just running it on maxol E5.. and even normal 95 unleaded as i've been told that the ECU can retard itself 3 degrees.. In saying that, you'll need to remap it if there are any mods on the car
[/quote]

Can someone back up this thoery at all? Because if true then i could run my car on E5 for the
time being untill i get a few bits for the car (cat back exhaust etc.) then finally get it all mapped
when i have the funds!

Can someone elaborate on that please? :ponder:

I'd get it mapped standard or not mate, with the scrap we have for fuel here you can never be too careful.

If your really stuck for cash why don't you fit a knock sensor? And just run it on E5 until you can afford to get it mapped. The sensor will tell you if the engine is knocking due to bad fuel :thumbsup:

Back