Timing belt kit costs

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
Need to get the timing belt done soon, just wanna price up how much the parts costs for all Subaru genuine parts to do the timing belt and any other tensioners etc that need doing when belt is done. Im presuming the kit is the same as an impreza with the ej20 engine

i think the belt is around 130, tensioner around 180 and then depends whether or not you need any new gears or idler pulleys... think 50 or 60 for the gears and a bit cheaper for the idler pulleys

Should be around that for fitting and all. Give Dave or Jomo a shout and they'll fill you in on a full price

What year and what kinda mileage you got on her? I've a 2003 WRX with only 27K miles on her...I know she's close to needing it. Probably get away with another year or two considering the miles are soo low, but I guess the age of the belts can cause rot etc...dont wanna be playing with fire!!

2003,coming up to 60k miles so thats the recommended mileage to get it done. another 30k for you then, start to worry!

[quote author=ScoobeyDoo link=topic=10325.msg122798#msg122798 date=1224594424]
What year and what kinda mileage you got on her? I've a 2003 WRX with only 27K miles on her...I know she's close to needing it. Probably get away with another year or two considering the miles are soo low, but I guess the age of the belts can cause rot etc...dont wanna be playing with fire!!
[/quote]

your already playing with fire mate!!!
belt is 5 years old in your car.
not positive on subarus but most manufacturers would say 4 years!!!!
on a performance car i would be thinking less
i've just done my at 15k on a 05 sti!!!
:dontknow: :dontknow:

i better get the finger out so! :1poke: so many different opinions from people so its hard to know when to change it. it could have been done in japan, but i doubt it

Better to be safer than sorry, It has to be done so you might as well do now before something happens

Dan if you take cover off you will have a good idea if it was done or not just by looking at it, if it doesnt look new do it to be safe
then you can have a definate referance point to when it has been done

had the cover off to check everything was aligned ok and low and behold:

align2cm3.jpg

Big slip of the time belt and doesn't look like it was changed recently. booked in with Dave tomorrow to get timing belt etc changed. Second new shape Legacy maybe to have this problem, Scoobystu seemed to have problems with his newly purchased Legacy, i must find out exactly what the story was with his. Could be a sign of premature slipping of the timing belt on these Legacys. for all those with new shape Legacys, might be worth checking your belts to make sure the 2 pulleys are aligned dead centre with each other, remove the small cover on the right hand side of the timing belt. ill stick up some pictures of mine once replaced, so you can see the difference. Cheers

checking with covers off won't give any tell-tale signs until belt has slipped...

tensioner on these new shape legacys seems to have premature tensioner failure causing 50k mile 90k km belt slippage.

Signs of the this would be the sympthoms dan has had. Such as a 4-5 second start up and car cutting out etc.

All timing belts being replaced i'd recommend the tensioner and idler pulleys. It does not make sense replacing belt on its own only..

[quote author=fenster link=topic=10325.msg122966#msg122966 date=1224628796]
Dave i only meant that if it had been changed in japan you would know a new belt from a 60k one
[/quote]

But the belt condition is not an issue in these cases... 10km or 90km on the belt same difference.

It is a belt tension problem..

is there any way to visually tell a tensioner is failing or has failed? just looking at the tensioner. is that it in the picture on the far left yellow roller looking thing?

[quote author=Echo link=topic=10325.msg122972#msg122972 date=1224629541]
Ah feck :angry1: i got those probs you just siad
[/quote]

mmmmmm back to square1 then.........

i'll chat to you tommorow then.............

just for info wat mileage you reading???

Back