Impreza Engine Re-Builds & Tuning

Yogi

Petrolheads
I am looking to get a new engine put into my 96 WRX.
Ideally I want an STI engine that I could get rebuilt, new turbo, etc. Would also be looking for limo's front & back etc (preferably adjustable bias)
Looking for a place to to gearbox rebuilds too. Looking for steel 1,2&3 with a high geared 5th for motorway driving.

Does anyone know of any place where I could get this done properly? Are there good places that could do it in the country or would I be looking at going to the UK?

Was thinking more in the lines of a rally prep place. Am looking for about 300 to 350 brake - nothing too mental as I need it as an everyday driver.

Was pointed towards here for better answers by a person on a different car site. Any help or pointers on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Graham

[quote author=Yogi link=topic=1137.msg9432#msg9432 date=1167757372]
I am looking to get a new engine put into my 96 WRX.
Ideally I want an STI engine that I could get rebuilt, new turbo, etc. Would also be looking for limo's front & back etc (preferably adjustable bias)
Looking for a place to to gearbox rebuilds too. Looking for steel 1,2&3 with a high geared 5th for motorway driving.

Does anyone know of any place where I could get this done properly? Are there good places that could do it in the country or would I be looking at going to the UK?

Was thinking more in the lines of a rally prep place. Am looking for about 300 to 350 brake - nothing too mental as I need it as an everyday driver.

Was pointed towards here for better answers by a person on a different car site. Any help or pointers on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Graham
[/quote]

Hi Graham. An STI gearbox would be more then able for your power goals so no need for a Gearkit. Plus gearkits are pricey and the money would be better spent elsewhere. 350 would need a turbo change along with a fair few other mods. Dave WRX's STI is just over 350bhp and is in the Project section.

As above. STI 5/6 gearbox be fine. No need any steel gear kits. Phone called with the rest........... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers lads...
@DaveLegacy cheers for the phone call yesterday. Some very handy pointers and tech help. Will def be back in touch.

Anyone with any other suggestions please feel free to comment.

Graham

Yogi i'd say Davelegacy has prob given ya loads of info :)
That type of gearring your looking for would be standard
in a TypeR or TypeRA basically very short in 1,2,3,4th and
very long in 5th.............quiet similar to a GroupN box or ratio.

Niall.

Cheers Niall,

Dave was saying that alright. Would be a far cheaper and just as effective way around it. He was saying to get the engine build going and get that sorted. Once that is complete start worrying about gearboxes and limo's.

The TypeR and TypeRA boxes should be more than capable of going 350bhp plus easily should they not? Just want to do all the jobs right and be done with it.

Graham

Its not the horses you need to worry about... Its the torque. Anything over 300+ lbs/ft and you'll be into danger zone i.e chipping or breaking gears.
When my build is done I aim to be getting 320+ lbs/ft but I got a clutch that will just slip before breaking teeth because I can't afford a stronger gear box e.g 6 speed. I'd rather burn out a clutch before having to fork out for a new box.
I'm sure some people might not agree but thats my method of madness anyway.

[quote author=Yogi link=topic=1137.msg9502#msg9502 date=1167836888]
Cheers Niall,

Dave was saying that alright. Would be a far cheaper and just as effective way around it. He was saying to get the engine build going and get that sorted. Once that is complete start worrying about gearboxes and limo's.

The TypeR and TypeRA boxes should be more than capable of going 350bhp plus easily should they not? Just want to do all the jobs right and be done with it.

Graham

[/quote]

Id leave the gearbox till last if your target is around 350. I know of lots of people running 380bhp / 380lbs and around the same of torque on standard STI gearbox with no problems so its defo not an issue. I know of one or two people running just over 400 of each and the STI box is still holding a year on. Im not saying its ok to run 450 or 500 with standard box because it will break but 350 is no problem to it at all. The UK gearbox is alot weaker and a fair few running 340/340 for a fair while without issue.

Ver5/6 STI box seem's to be regarded as the Strongest one.

Depends how the car is driven and what its used for. Normal driving will last forever regardless of Bhp or torque but if you want to drag... with that much power you will chip teeth.
Agreed the version 5/6 STi box is strongest.

No Im mean fast road use and the odd trackdayor most trackays even. Theres people who are doing every trackday with standard box and over 300lbs and no problem at all. Ive done full blown launches and a few trackdays and even my UK box is still holding but has to give up soon. Unless your going alot higher I wouldent go near the STI box.

I'm only going to be using it for road use, and possibly the odd track day. Won't be doing a lot of track use as myself and a friend have an e30 325 track car.
Plan on bringing it to the Ring alright during the summer though.

Won't be going huge power or torque figures as I need it to reliable as I will be using it as my everyday commuting car.

In fact there is a guy on Scoobynet called Graham / 911 who competes in the hill climb events and he is running a 20g on stanard V3 STI gearbox puting out 380/380 and he's running that over a year with no problems and that car gets well driven now. Im fairly sure its a V3 could be a V4.

If its a 2.0 Litre go with an 18g and stroker go for 20g and your gearbox should hold out ok. That would be a real nice car.

I stand corrected.

On a different note Damo will the 2.2 kit be as high reving as a 2.0 and will it be safe doing track days where it will live near the red line?

Absoultly it will be great and exactly what you want. 2.0 2.2 2.35 happy to rev. There are a few things you can do to make it a little safer on the track like sump etc etc but not 100% needed but if budget allows defo worth doing esp if your going to do a good few trackdays. Your car should stand up to whatever you throw at it. Thats my opinion of course.

Your going to ring me in a month and say your gearbox boke wait and see  :D

Davelegacy was suggesting the legacy non-turbo 2.2 block and build that. Only problem is they are are supposedly a tough engine to come by.

Would have more torque but less revs. Anyone heard any reviews/comments from people who have undergone this conversion?

:lol: yea!! Ha ha. :lol: I'll be taking it easy till march anyway till I run it in and get it mapped!! :doh:
Budget is well over spent!! It was originally 2k just to get it back on the road. As you can guess it went slightly beyond that :shock: :lol:

Back