Blow up Prevention??

S

Sonic74f

Hi Lads,

Might be going looking at a JDM Classic Sti over the next week and even though I have a good knowledge on Impreza's but does anyone know for sure what the most obvious direct link of why the boxer engine suffers so much from big end failure and more importantly what are the hardened must do rules to prevent.

You hear stories that its either lack of oil pressure or the valve on the pump getting stuck to it being det etc. Does a modified oil pump cure the problem or is this just a myth? i want to buy a JDM as I had one before and they are amazing but somehow I felt more at ease when I had the Irish/UK turbo model. Technically one would imagine if the JDM was mapped for Irish fuel that it would be the stronger of the 2 cars as its got better internals(afaik) but its not always the case.

Thanks,
James

down to how its driven!!!!!
regular oil change and the right grade of oil is important!!!!
gettin trashed around the track without a baffled sump doesnt help

As your looking at a JDM they are fueled differently for our own so you'll need to map the JDM ECU for our sh1t fuel.

Some lads here are running their cars on Maxol E5 with out maps which is beleaved to be the closest we have to the Jap 101 octain fuel and are having no problems. E5 is 99 octain with octain Boost you should be 100 to 101 octain.

Defo not adviseable to run it on 95 Octain. :thumbsup:

Thanks lads, I also forgot to ask about the E5 as you mention it, does it seem to be consistant in ron do you think? Any people here with knocklinks or the likes using E5 on mapped or unmapped JDM's? Any det?

My car is mapped for 95 & full bottle of lucas.

Running E5 and knocklink sensitivity set to maximum, barely a flicker of the first light at worst :thumbsup:

Mine is same as Brian's type r mapped for 98 in the uk now running on e5 with knocklink and its set at max, only ever see one green light.

Back