Hand Brake Adjustment. Easy Step by Step.

E

ericsti

Well lads,

My hand brake need abjustment as the handle was pointing skyward and the pads where making contact with the drum all the time.

So I went about finding out how this was done. A lad on Scooby net told me how to do it but I was 100% sure so I ask a subaru machanic if I had it right in my head and I did. But he told me how to fine tune it.

Here you go so lads this is how it's done. (No one on here should have a problem with their hand brake again.

First before we get in the steps get it on a lift but if you don't have one make sure you are on a flat surface so the car cann't roll. Just to be sure place an object behind the two front wheels to prevent it rolling over your head as you will have to have the brake off during this.

The Steps.

Step 1.

Remove the cover in the centre that covers the hand brake. At this point the hand brake is on.

DSC00378.jpg

Just simple pull it up and it will pop off. No screws.

DSC00377.jpg

Step 2.

Get under the back of the car and on the inner side of the rear brakes you see two rubber bungs.

DSC00374-1.jpg

Remove they by just lefting a corner and pulling.

DSC00372.jpg

In the above picture you can see a tooth, that wiill come into play later but for now get out from under the car and back to the hand brake itself in the car.

Realise the hand brake, using to 10mm spanners unlock the two bolts on the hand brake cable, insure the car is not rolling and then get back under the rear of the car.

Get a screw driver the fits into the opening above and start pushing that tooth in an upward direction until you cann't move it anymore.

DSC00372-1.jpg

You will only get one click at a time. It will take a few clicks each time but what your doing is locking the Brake shoe to the drum. Do this on both sides.

Once you have the Shoe locked on both sides return to the hand brake and pulling it up slowly you will fell slack and the the lever will bite. Using the 10mm Spanner adjustthe lower of the two screws on the hand brake cable until the slack is gone from the hand brake. Leaving it off once you have the slack removed.

Return to the rear of the car and back under. Using you screw driver this time push down on the tooth four times on each side. this will bring the shoe away from the drum the right amount. You will fell and hear each click.
P

Back