prodrive (ppp)

MurphWRX

Sunday Drivers
hi all! i have a 05 wrx and i have put the prodrive (ppp) on my car, since subaru put it on the car has not been rite, every few days i don't get any boost! i have brought it back to subaru more than once and when they plug it into there computers no faults show. before i got it on my car i asked about using 95 RON and they told me tat the ppp pack will run on 95ron but 98RON is best. now that i'm having problems there saying i'm only to use 98ron, i rang prodrive in the uk and they said that the car should run great on 95! that the ECU will learn it it's self. so if anyone on here has 04-05wrx with the ppp pack or knows of anyone with this please let me know!  my aim now is to get it out of my car and get my money back, this is going on for 5 weeks now and i'm not enjoying subaru life at all!  :cry:

murphWRX

Hey Murph,
Yes your ECU should retard for 95RON if that was your only prob
you could use an octane booster. But wrong fuel wouldn't cause
no boost. It might be lumpy or worse you'd get knock but not no boost.

Sorry not much help !!
Who fitted it ?? Donnelly's one of our club sponsors fit alot of PPP's
they might be able to help

Niall.

Yeah Murph that could be an option to head up there and see if they would have a look.

i have the same sort of problem, but i dont have the PPP fitted but she is the sti, one day shes like a dog the next shes like a wippet, now i only use super unleaded, so any ideas guys, now she is going into donnellys tomorrow to get the ic spray sorted, new pump to be fitted, will mention to them and if they have any ideas i will pass them on. :hang:

thanx!!! :thumbsup: gojonnygo what year is your car? subaru (castle) in bray fitted it. where is Donnelly based?

murphWRX

There up in Belfast Murph. Where heading there on the Drive :D

what sounds to me like whats happening is your ecu is going into safety mode due to some problem its detecting. is the car boosting at all? if it goes to safety mode it should still boost to 0.5bar thats subaru for you they probably charged you an arm and a leg for the ppp and dont know anything about it unless a computer tells them whats wrong. i said it before and ill say it again subaru garages are useless :angry: you might as well have gone to mcdonalds drivethru and asked the girl behind the counter to have a look at the car for ya!! try a bottle of lucas octane boost or nf in it and see how it is. dont bother trying any others such as nitrox or millers or pro-boost as you might as well just piss in it.

regards,
George

As far as I know Prodrive UK told him they do NOT recommend Octane booster is used. I also think one of them said that his Warranty could be affected if he did. Then another dealer is saying use it. 

And im sure not all Subaru dealers are crap.

Damo

im sorry damo good point i didnt realise the age of the car so its still in warranty. main dealers will always try give excuses to avoid giving warranty for any reason. im not saying all main dealers are useless but the ones down south are anyway. ive never had any dealings with dealers up north or inthe rest of europe. and proper octane boost only helps a car (ANY CAR) but its a good excuse for them to void warranty. ive only realised the age of the car now so the best thing you can do is to take the ppp out and hand it back. when the car is out of warranty start modding then if losing warranty now is an issue.

regards,
George

Hey Murph,

As far as I know the PPP does not affect your warrenty - in fact it's the only 'mod' they allow!

Have you tried reseting your ECU? Does any fault codes come up?

Alan.

yes alan is right they do allow it and does not void warranty. but the car isnt running properly since it was fitted. re-setting the ecu will only reset it to factory settings before the ppp was fitted so that wont help.

George

hey guys! yeah subaru reseted the ECU twice already, the ECU isn't the same ecu that was in the car when i got it, it's a whole new prodrive ECU. the ppp dosen't affect my warrent but subaru ireland told me not to use octane boost that if it dose anythin to the car? mite not be under warrent, also prodrive in the uk said the same unless i'm using 98RON from the pump then stick with 95ron and the ECU will read that fine.
yeah your spot on GT performance, it's seems like it is going into safety mode, but prodrive said it shouldn't go into safety mode all the time only if it get dirty fule "witch it's not" or if it's over heatin, witch it isn't. it's booked back in on monday morning for them to have another look, so i'm just going tell them that i want it out off my car and i want my money back. i'll keep ya's posted and thanks for the help

murphWRX

Good job Murph give me a shout after and let me know how it goes.

alrite lads! update on my 06 wrx (prodrive pack)... went out to Subaru this mornin about car not running too good, they pluged it in to there computers and they said car in fine, i know my self it's not runnin rite, before they put the ppp on the car, the car was runnin great loads of power but now it dosen't feel as fast. today they put a fuel catalyst in to my tank, the name of it is, The Broquet Fuel Catalyst and its to improve combustion, reduced emissions, lifetime of 250.000 miles and easier starting!!! i know i should be runnin on 98RON but before i got it they told me it will run on 95 just fine, prodrive in the uk said don't use octane boost and subaru ireland said the same, i'm not gonna use it coz i jus want my money back and it takin out of my car, they told me to give the Fuel Catalyst two weeks and let them know how it is, i'm gonna try get a boost gauge in the next two weeks and get it up on a rolling road, i know rolling roads arn't 100% but i have a feeling it will only read about 180-210bhp, at least i'll have a print out so i can show subaru! i can't believe when i bring my can into subaru and they drive it they say there's nottin wrong with it, anyone who drives a wrx would know there's somethin wrong.

i'll keep yous up to date  :computer:

murph

Hey Murph,

That sounds very strange....
The Broquet is the same as the fuel cat some lads (including me) have fitted - TBH I don't think it does anything but one thing is for sure, it doesn't raise the RON of the petrol. I'm VERY surprised that they didn't just get you to run with Lucas or NF and see if there was a difference?? Does the warrenty allow you to bring it to any Subaru Dealer? I would give Westward a call and get it up on the rollers to see if there is anything wrong.... plus Martin may be able to shed some light for you..

Alan.

hi murph,
broquets dont do anything for performance. they dont increase octane at all. basically all they are is an alternative for older cars that should be running on leaded petrol. as far as i know the metals in them is magnesium,tin and copper. which act as a replacement for lead. they wont do anything for your car and id be very surprised if subaru allow them under warranty. its just typical of the main dealers to be honest :wall: :wall:

Murph those Fuel cats 110% dont work. Get the rolling road read out and if its very low it will give you good amo to get PPP takin off and money back. Either way id wwant it off. Let me know when your going down to Martin ill head down with yi.

The problem here is that they have supplied you with a mass mapped ecu from Prodrive. This is mapped for any Sti to run on all different types of fuel and in different conditions. i.e in Singapore where there is 110% humidity or in Norway at minus 20 degrees.In my opinion if you are going to get a map it should be custom mapped for the car and the local weather conditions. You will never get the most out of an off the shelf Ecu even if it is mapped with Ecutek software.I reckon that Prodrive have not taken into account the sludge that petrol companies sell over here and that it needs a custom map.

Cheers

Alan

Back