maf

keith dublin

Member Number 161Full ISDC Members 2015
Want to check the maf sensor what's the best way to do this.
Do i unplug it just after i start the car???
Cheers
Keith

And if i want to change it how much and where is the best place to get a new one.

I don't think there is any accurate way of checking if the MAF is ok :dunno:
You will usually notice very bad idle when the MAF is f00ked....
Why do you think the MAF is gone? And if in any doubt just replace it as it can lead to much bigger problems :shock:

You can get one from any of the Subaru dealers and expect to pay about 140 euro...

Alan.

If you have a my99/00 car and the MAF does not have a green dot by the upper bolt hole, replace it. Originals were fragile leading to outright failure, and under read as they get older. New ones (with green dot) are certainly less fragile - 2 years is too soon to see whether they still under read as time goes on.

To check it you'd really need someone with Delta Dash to monitor MAF voltage against boost. Don't foget the reset ECU after changing it - and be aware this can sometimes also highlight lambda sensor problems (also under read with age, causing an over rich closed loop) and (in rare cases) for the idle stepper motor to need cleaning (they can get gunked up if the car has run too rich closed loop for too long).

Richard

Its just the car is a 99 type r since i have had it the maf has never been changed.
It seems to be hunting a bit on tick over and i have been getting 2 or 3 green light's
on the knock link when i put my foot down dont mind changing it what do you think?
What would you do??????
Cheers
Keith

Definitely change it! How long have you owned it? I would also change the lambda sensor at the same time, and clean the idle stepper motor. I haven't been in Ireland long and haven't monitored any local cars, but I would assume running your JDM car on 95RON fuel isn't the best idea in the world either?

MAF is easy to change, but uses security torx screws - if you don't have the right bit you can snap the middle pin off with a pair of pliers and use a flat blade. Best use a little oil around the rubber seal on the new one to ensure is snicks in place nicely.

Richard

Cheers i have had the car for about one year now think ill chang it asap cheers for the aadvice. :thumbsup:

Back