Stupid question!

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
so i feel like a right tool asking this. Changed the engine oil and filter there last week. Car takes 4.7 L of oil. So i put in 2 cans of Motul V300, plus a bit from a third can which i thought was only about 500ml, went to top it up again today with another 200ml or so. Checked the dipstick and the oil is level is showing above the full mark on the dipstick. Should i drain some out to get it back below the full mark or is it alright? engine was stone cold when i checked it. maybe all the old oil wasnt drained out. :hammerhead:

4.7 L too much? thats what it said the legacy manual i came across or someone on here mentioned. :icon_jook: maybe i over measured!

I think the Impreza only takes 4.2 if I remember right. Cann't see the Legacy been different. But as I said cann't be 100%.

For some reason, some scoobys seem to take different amounts!
I always put 4L in then top up as required, My dip stick is very hard to read accurately,
Do you have something to drain the oil into, so you can pour it back in after wards, I over filled one time, and stupidly tried to drain a bit then put the bung back in (fook stupid idea)
So just drain it all and refill!
Are you getting puffs of smoke on start up??? If not then there is no bother!
Dan

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=9904.msg117802#msg117802 date=1222812161]
4.7 L too much? thats what was recommended by one of the traders on here :ponder2:
[/quote]

the subaru takes 4.7litres overall.
as said be some kept in system...........
top up with the motul be the 4 litres plus a a tipple of first can from there........

did you check oil as you filled???

if you start up sitting between haflway and full for a min or so and then let settle for few mins on LEVEL GROUND.

Check level and top up as needed......

Buy yourself one of those nice big draining basins, with the nossle on it from halfords, they are relitavely cheap!
Dan

thanks for the info lads, will drain a wee bit out in the morning. Have basin there, but it ain't one of the fancy halfrauds ones Dan! Dunnes stores ftw!

car wouldnt start for me first time this morning took about for a 5 turns to get it to start. hope its not related to this!

Could be, If you want to swing by my place I can help drain your oil and refill!
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=9904.msg118365#msg118365 date=1222992432]
Could be, If you want to swing by my place I can help drain your oil and refill!
Dan
[/quote]

All sorted now Dan, thanks for the offer though. Seems no start was a one off event, ill keep an eye on it though

Back