Setting Up Broadband , Idiots Advice Needed

T

Turbo

I've decided to upgrade to broadband from dial-up , mainly coz we've now got a laptop in the house so we'll have 2 computers wanting net access .

My PC is currently set up for dial up . It is an old but well specced unit running XP Pro but I only have a dial-up modem .

The lap-top is a new well specced Acer running XP home . It is supposed to be wireless ready but when I checked the under modems in the control panel nothing comes up . The only wireless thing that appears is an option to set up a wireless network .

I'll probably go for the BT option 1 package & buy a wireless router like this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BT-Home-Hub-W...4QQihZ017QQcategoryZ44997QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I will connect to the laptop wirelessly but will I need any extra hardware or software for this ? Will I need to set up a network for both computers to use the net ?

I've 2 options for the PC connection .

1- Site this router beside the PC & run a cable to from it to the router . Does this router have the facility for this ? There's a socket on the back of the motherboard similar to the phone socket on the modem . Is this where you connect to the router ? Do I need any other hardware or software ?

2- Site the router at the main phone socket in the house & connect both the PC & laptop wirelessly . I guess I will need some sort of hardware for my PC for this ? I also read somewhere that the wireless connection is slower than hard wiring - is this true ?

Also confused about the microfilters . Do I need one for every phone socket or just the one connected to the internet ?

Please keep any advice fairly simple as I'm not a tech-head when it comes to PC's !

Cheers , Turbo

If the laptop is wireless ready then you wont need any hardware or software. The laptop will automatically search for networks when its turned on. You will probably have to enter a WEP key on the laptop which is like a password so no other feckers will be able to connect to your broadband in your area free of charge. The best thing to do is put the modem beside your P.C and plug it straight in. Thats if u have a phone socket near by. Most laptops have have a limit of 54 mbps and if the P.C is pluged straight into the modem it can be alot faster but 54mbps is still pretty fast and fast enough if u have to put the modem else where in the house and run the P.C wirelessly from it. For the P.C (if running it wirelessly) you'll need a wireless adapter which u can buy in any computer shop for 50 to 80 euro. You'll have the same network for both computers and it should be set up by the installation cd you get with your modem. U'll have to install crap on your p.c like u have to with anything u buy for your computer its only a matter of clicking a few box's etc. The socket on the back of the motherboard is the Ethernet connection. thats where u'll plug the modem into. The filters need to be put on all phone sockets in the house as there will be a buzzing on the line from the broadband. You usually get a modem with the broadband and if its not a wireless one ask can u buy one of them of them, it shouldnt be too much extra and then if u have any problems u can always ring their helpline. P.S im no expert so i may be corrected but its christmas eve and everyone is probably hammered so god knows when they'll be sober enough to answer your questions  ;) Hope this helps . Happy Christmas  :salute:

give us a ring on my mobile mate and if ya havent got it set up already i can talk ya through it. number is 0872531229

Chris

be wary of getting a modem from an alternate supplier as if ur having trouble configuring it the tech support wont help u as its not their equipment. i work for fone company so no this, only get the non supplier modem if ur confident about knowing how to configure it an troubleshoot it

Thanks
John

I ended up going with this company - http://www.zen.co.uk/

They are slightly more expensive than others but they get top marks in all broadband ISP reviews . A big plus for me was a uk based free tech support line . I bought their router/modem as well so I've no worries about support for that . It wasn't too expensive at £57 for a wireless speedtouch 585 & similiar in price to Currys .

By following the installation cd that came with the router I got the BB connected up but I couldn't access the net . I called the tech helpline & a guy talked me through my installation . I'd did everything right apart from select 'Never dial a connection' on the connections tab in internet options .

I'm quite impressed by the speed I'm getting , especially compared to dial-up . I'm on a 2GB connection & I'm getting around 1.4 GB which is quite good considering I'm 3.5 miles from the exchange !

Back