B4 Headlight question

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
On the B4 standard factory HID headlight, is there anyway of making the full beam HID to?

Or would i need to replace the whole kit to an aftermarket kit to do this?? Or is it even possible to do? :thumbsup: :subaru:

Remove the headlight bulb, Take note of the type ie.H4 or H7, then check with traders or web to see if they are available!
I'd imagine any bulb is replacable with HIDs,I'd go for the lowest number possible for the whitest brightest light ie 4300K
Let us know how you get on!
Dan

not sure if this is posible, the type of light in a hid system takes a certain ammount of time to warm up to get to its full output, if you are switching from your dips to fulls it would take afew seconds for the fulls to come to full brightness and then when you switch back to dips the same thing again. im not saying they dont exist, just pointing out a posible problem. on the other hand when a hid lamp warms up it only takes a fraction of the time to get to full capacity so when warm there might not be a delay

most HID bulbs are actually only about 35 watt. they burn cooler but brighter. You would need a seperate HID aftermarket kit for the full beams to be HID's too but as lads have pointed out they take a few seconds to get to full brightness so unless you drive with them on all the time then they will actually wont be as bright even as ur dip beams while you flash people etc. constantly flashing with HID's drastically reduces the life time of the HID bukbs too which a very expensive to replace. get a set in the fogs... now that would be nice!

if the hid lamps in a car are anyway similar to hid used in commercial lighting they are energy efficient to a certain degree and require whats known in the trade as gear to run them.
the gear usually consits of an electronic ballast which is a modern version of a choke and capacitor which are used in flouresent lighting. from what i can see the light range is usually up in the 4000 k range whaich is similar in colour to natural daylight, the higher you go up in the 4000k range in lumens the bluer the light becomes

You trying the light the road or make things transparent? Theirs a reason full beams aren't HID other roads users

and a lot of the time the aftermarket kits are thrown into cars and people dont adjust the angle of their headlights so even in low beams they can blind oncoming traffic if not aligned properly. like you see in most civics/integra's etc!

Back