totally gutted!

slithertooth

Sunday Drivers
i`ll keep it short. had an engine failure on my v3 type r at the start of the summer. between saving for a new engine block and actually waiting for it to arrive i got around to building it on tuesday. fit it on wednesday and started it on thursday. had a misfire which i thought was only a small electrical problem so i left it until today. how wrong was i! turns out i`ve no compression :angry1: (could somebody please explain to me which cylinder is 1 and 2 and 3 and 4) it`s the back left as you look at the engine. i feel like such a plank because after everybody suggested i get the heads checked i just motored on and refit them thinking "sure how could a bottom end failure damage valves?" famous last words! so the question that i`m now asking is can you remove the left head in place or do i need to remove the engine? on another note i`ve never had much input to the site so i`ll post up a pic of my car so you`ll know it if you ever see it!

2nv8bc8.jpg

did you? i was actually in naas earlier and saw one very like it. did my post not make sense? i fit a new engine block to my car and reused my heads but never got the valves checked or anything and now i`ve no compression in cylinder 3!

cylinder 3, was it piston or bigend damage. what is the compression accross the four cylinders, have you done a cylinder leakage test on that cylinder.

it was big end failure. took compression of all cylinders. 1,2&4 are fine. cylinder 3, no compression whatsoever, not even a wobble from the gauge. haven`t done a leakage test though.

[quote author=slithertooth link=topic=9656.msg114873#msg114873 date=1221865815]
did my post not make sense
[/quote]

:icon_grin: no just didnt make since to me, :icon_grin: that stuff is beond me.
it was last year i seen it, very similer anyway, maybe just the was the wheels.

Engine will have to come out. A valve would have to be well damaged to have no compresion at all. Do a cylinder leak test before you take it out, ande you will ba able to tell exactly where the leak is,

John

UPDATE!!!

ok so everybody`s being saying bent valve to me and reno was on to me earlier about checking valve seats and to make sure i didn`t get the cams mixed up. so i took the rocker cover off today and checked the cams, they`re ok and fitted correctly. next thing i did was to check the hydrolic tappets. when the lobes are up you can spin the tappets in place with your finger. guess what? cylinder 3 (my cylinder with no compression) exhaust cam, front tappet, locked in place. this leads me to believe that the little shim inside these tappets shifted over and is now trapped between the spring retainer and the tappet not letting the valve fully close. this would make sense to me as the car DID NOT have a misfire up to the point when i shut the engine down so how could a valve bend itself after that? i have the timing belt off and the cam gears removed so i`just need to remove the cam in the morning and hopefully it`ll be all sorted. i`ll keep you posted

you could have bent one now as it would be lifting more than it should with the shim on the top of the retainer. but i just said a prayer for you, so you should be ok :icon_grin:

haven`t put it back together yet as i`ve been up to my eyeballs in work but i was right, one of the shims had moved when i was puting it back together and was keeping the valve open!

Back