Leaking Rad

GregWRX

Sunday Drivers
Lads,

I have coolant leaking out of the rad in my 01 WRX, seems to be leaking out near the top somewhere, may be where the plastic meets the alluminium(passenger side) :dontknow: . Anyone know if this is a repair or new rad before i order it?

Cheers

Greg

Im having similar coolant issues lately. Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know if its possible to get a new rad without the plastic parts?

Well lads,

Not to make little of your probs because I had this problem aswell but this topic has been flogged to death it has come up that often. Do a quick search on the forum and you will find reems of stuff about it. The only thing you can do is buy a new rad. Again the search will turn up prices etc. Best of luck with it

Paddy

I did search but didnt find anything that answered my question above.

ya found a new rad on ebay for €105 so its not all bad, i can put the link up if anyone else needs it. Probably better off just taking the rad off and taking it to a rad repairs crowd before i order. On a separate note what coolant are people using these days??

andyC the plastic parts are surely the bits that cant be repaired/welded etc, the alluminium rad etc could be re-conditioned - no?

jptypera just bought a rad couple of days ago for his sti.....
think urban performance do full alloy rads with no plastic parts but i could be wrong....
:ponder2: :ponder2:

I was thinking if these plastic bits on the rad are such a weak point then why isnt there an option to get rid of them and have some sort of stronger replacement for them?.

I use Bardahl Coolant.

Folks,

For the case of €150-200, just get a brand new rad for god sake :dontknow:. Save all that messing and give you a bit of piece of mind :smile:. Best way for a long term fix IMO anyway :thumbsup:.

Paddy

Lads I had similar problem couple of months ago and mechanic got a top tank for the rad made out of copper.He said it will never leak again!!!!(we ll see)
just last week I had to change top rad hose aswell.............

Dave.

i got a full ASI aluminium rad from pro parts on saturday , double the thickness of stock rad and lighter, and the engine is running cooler

defo better idea spending the extra few euro on a better rad :thumbsup:

I had to fit a new rad to my sti also.. got one with a filler cap on it but the header tank has a filler cap too.
Works fine but looks a bit weird :ponder2:
Cheers
John

[quote author=JohnM link=topic=9602.msg114311#msg114311 date=1221683999]
I had to fit a new rad to my sti also.. got one with a filler cap on it but the header tank has a filler cap too.
Works fine but looks a bit weird :ponder2:
Cheers
John
[/quote
its off a non turbo. but same size etc, makes it real easy to bleed(done it before as was badly stuck/used to watch a lot of mcguiver).

Just got my leggy back after a very similar problem,coolan leaking from the top plastci part of the rad,got a new rad fitted under warranty by the sound chap in D and S autoservices in swords,its heart breakin when it happens but sure these things happen

it is heartbreaking, but once you dont drive it till it cooks itself its an easy enough and inexpensive fix. most cars seem to last anywhere from 6-8 years on the same rad, so although it is common to see it on the site here it is not a regular problem with the same car. when i'm doing services/t belts i give them a good examination. its usually easy enough to spot as they always go in the same place where the hot coolant from the engine hits the tank.

Car parked up for the last 2 days, removed the rad last night to get it checked today or tomorrow. Will see how that goes and ready to buy and drop in the new one.
What quantity of coolant do i need? and what mix of water is advised?

there should be a full mark on the coolant bottle,and its usually 50-50 water to coolant mix,got some blue stuff in the boot just in case,summer coolant written on the bottle

Back