"CHECK ENGINE" ON DASH 2000 TURBO 4WD

stevemcqueen

Sunday Drivers
Can anyone help.
On Friday a red light appeared on the dash "Check Engine"
i was worried because this time last year the head gasket went and cost me €2000 to repair.
i checked water, oil, coolent and everything seemed fine, i have it booked in for a service on Thursday but wondering can anyone help?

Also i dont know my way around the engine, Can anyone suggest a website that can point out the different parts with explanations, & what goes wrong if certain parts break.

Thanks a mil
really appreciate it

[quote author=chris555 link=topic=9450.msg112171#msg112171 date=1221036711]
at least introduce urself m8, where not the subaru support line :lol: but ask any of the traders Jomo or sti tunning will sort u out :thumbsup:
[/quote]

He did Chris, check the introduce yourself section :icon_nana:

I'd recommend you get it looked at straight away, either a Subaru garage or someone with diagnostic equipment will be able to read the fault. Davelegacy (sti tuning) on here has the equipment to read faults, might be worth looking him up :thumbsup:

[quote author=chris555 link=topic=9450.msg112171#msg112171 date=1221036711]
at least introduce urself m8, where not the subaru support line :lol: but ask any of the traders Jomo or sti tunning will sort u out :thumbsup:
[/quote]

He did introduce himself man :thumbsup:

@Steve, Did you try resetting the ECU? I had a check engine light on mine for a day, reset it and it went back to normal. Just plug the battery out for about a half hour :thumbsup:

Get her plugged in fella. where you at? my check engine light comes up after a good blaze around, its an air idle valve control problem which isnt the end of the world but id if its an oil pressure problem or something it could be bad news

hey

i haven't tried resetting it yet, to be honest im like a chick when it comes to the engine (no offense), haven't a breeze.
anyone recommend any sites or books to get to know the engine (something like the for dummies) lol
im from Dublin mate, malahide.

Halfords have a good selection of books, Engine Management and Diagnostic books there also a monthly magazine called " Car Mechanics".
Its full of tips and good advice. Some things you can do your self, but if your any way worried visit a good mechanic, preferrable a :subaru: 1 :thumbsup:

stevemcqueen

Did it come on and stay on or did it just flicure and go off again.

The Build in Knock sencor in the GC8 is the Check engine light. So if it comes on when your driving it on and then goes out your engine could be knocking. If it just stays on it could be any number of faults (i.e. faulty sencor or other) but you will have to get her plug in for sure to see what the story realy is.

Best of luck.

[quote author=stevemcqueen link=topic=9450.msg112322#msg112322 date=1221061353]
hey Eric,
yeah mate, it just stays on, its being on full time for a few days now, have it booked in 2moro.
[/quote]

Did you try resetting it like I said mate? I had a similer problem. It was constantly on. Just plugged the battery out for a half our and she went back to her good ole self.

Had the same prob for ages!Had 2 faults,the knock sensor was buggered and ahe wasn't boostin properly so when i gave her whelly check engine light came on!Got both sorted,now no probs :multijump:

you can do your own fault code check to tell you if any sensor has failed or diagnose the problem, its very easy. from the inside, down the left hand side of the steering column, stick your head up there and look for 2 black connectors. These will not be connected, will probably be taped up with insulating tape or the likes.
1. Turn the ignition OFF
2. Join the 2 BLACK connectors together
3. Turn the ignition on(DONT start the car, just turn on the ignition)
4. Now looka t the check engine light and you will find out what code it brings up, eg if it was error code 23(which from memory is the MAF), the check engine light will flash 2 slow flashes followed by 3 fast flashes and so on.
if the flashes are regular, that means no error shows up.
I will post up the list of error codes when I find it, I have it saved some where from years back.

5. When you are finished, turn off the ignition, and disconnect the black connetors again. Dont forget to do that bit.

edited to add the error codes
Code Fault
11 Crankshaft position sensor

12 Starter switch

13 Camshaft position sensor

21 Engine coolant temperature sensor

22 Knock sensor

23 Mass air flow sensor

24 Idle air control solenoid

31 Throttle position sensor

32 Oxygen sensor

33 Vehicle speed sensor 2

35 Purge control solenoid valve

42 Idle switch

44 Wastegate control solenoid valve

45 Pressure sensor / Pressure exchange solenoid valve

51 Neutral position switch

If I were you though I would not drive it til you take it to the garage and only drive it off boost to there.

[quote author=Richiesham link=topic=9450.msg113064#msg113064 date=1221263080]
Had the same prob for ages!Had 2 faults,the knock sensor was buggered and ahe wasn't boostin properly so when i gave her whelly check engine light came on!Got both sorted,now no probs :multijump:
[/quote]
Same happened to my legacy basterd to change!it won't boost properly anyway with the knock sensor faulty

sorry forgot to fill u guys in, had it posted in general chat.....

Well guys

Results of the check engine light on my dash, it was a sensor alright, a knock sensor, think thats spelt right..... think one of the lads sussed it!!!!
but f**k me, you send your car in for a €350 normal service & they give you a €2 grand bill. that f**king hurts.
Clutch gone, breaks, belt etc
anyway thanks for all the help
much appreciated.

there goes the upgrade for a while

Back