Strange engine noise

AndyC

ISDC Club Member
I have a noise coming from the engine. It sounds like a "whirring" noise from the drivers side.
It is loud when I pull off in 1st gear and then gets louder when I turn the steering wheel. Move up through the gears and its goes away. Slow down again to a stop and the noise gets louder again.
The "whirring" noise is also accompanied by a "liquid flowing/bubbling" noise infront of the driver in the engine.

Im thinking its the power steering pump making this noise. Steering does feel heavier than normal.

I have ruled out these possabilities..

1) power sterring fluid is full
2) turbo boosts fine and no smoke

Anyone any other ideas?
Thanks.

Andy, the pump can be full of fluid but still be fooked. if you just rev the car at a stanstill you can hear it. think it's the release valve that sticks.
Cheers
John

Problem seems to be fixed.

Drove LS Autos in Maynooth but they are closed for Christmas. There was a girl there who told me to go to Car Torq. So off I went to Clane .Stopped there and asked for directions to Car Torq. Got drawn a map by a guy, followed it prefectly and no Car Toq to be seen anywhere. So, a full 2 hours driving and a quarter tank later I ended up going to my local garage and sure enough problem is gone now.

Flushed and drained power steering fluid, cleaned out pump, filled new fluid. Steering is perfect now.

Back