4 pot caliper siezed

wrx261

Middle Lane Hogs
lads was fitting new discs and pads all round today and noticed on the passenger side calliper 2 of the inner pistons wouldnt budge when i tried to compress for refitting :ponder2: has anybody got any advice for me or would know if these can be repaired??

Try brake cleaner - but I'd say better stay away from WD40 if you don't want to kill rubber parts.
Take off dust sealings first of course. You can try to brush it around yet, and try again.
If you know how you can try to dismantle the caliper and check inside... if cleaning will not help, maybe repair kit?

I reconditioned a set of these before. You can get a recon kit of rubber seals, lube etc etc from Subaru Irl... well i got a set for my Irish Impreza... so i'd presume you can get em for Jap ones. Fairly easy to do! :thumbsup:

did ye take the lid off the brake fluid resevoir? this allows the fluid to back up the lines when you push the pistons back

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=9172.msg108915#msg108915 date=1219952047]
Bring them back to the bo*lox that you got them off :tongue:
[/quote]

i tell ya if i ever see him again :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :lol: :lol:

@[quote author=TYPERV6 link=topic=9172.msg108916#msg108916 date=1219952231]
I reconditioned a set of these before. You can get a recon kit of rubber seals, lube etc etc from Subaru Irl... well i got a set for my Irish Impreza... so i'd presume you can get em for Jap ones. Fairly easy to do! :thumbsup:
[/quote]
Cheers Jamie will be onto subaru today about that a recon kit didn't even know they did em :thumbsup:, i take it you had to split the callaper to recon it :ponder2:

@ northdublin yeah mick i loosened the cap on resovour when i started to refit no joy look like they have been siezed a while :doh:

happened me a week or so they were a killer but just griped the pot and twisted it and then banged it with a hammer and pole a few times and it went back.

try lodge a screwdriver threw the top off the caliper and pot to pull back as well.

[quote author=keith555 link=topic=9172.msg109039#msg109039 date=1219966977]
happened me a week or so they were a killer but just griped the pot and twisted it and then banged it with a hammer and pole a few times and it went back.

try lodge a screwdriver threw the top off the caliper and pot to pull back as well.
[/quote]

yeah i must take off the calliper completely and try that, :thumbsup: you didn't remove the rubber seals when doing this? how did you get it moving freely again did you grease? cheers keith :thumbsup:

[quote author=renycakes link=topic=9172.msg109038#msg109038 date=1219966731]
@[quote author=TYPERV6 link=topic=9172.msg108916#msg108916 date=1219952231]
[/quote]
Cheers Jamie will be onto subaru today about that a recon kit didn't even know they did em :thumbsup:, i take it you had to split the callaper to recon it :ponder2:

@ northdublin yeah mick i loosened the cap on resovour when i started to refit no joy look like they have been siezed a while :doh:
[/quote]

Can't remember if i had to split it.... just loosened it with brake cleaner... removed the piston, rubber seals and replaced them all with new items! Seemed to work well after! :thumbsup:

Back