Scooby Newbi Saying hello

WetPatch

Petrolheads
Hey guys

I recently just bought my first Subaru Impreza, and didnt realize the size of the community out there for this car, so let me tell u my story...

I got my car about 4 weeks ago its a 1998 Sti V5 from Japan (first irish owner), i got it from ibc japan because a friend highly recommended them to me, well it all looked great on paper 50k miles on the clock, no dents or scratchs and was a bargin at only 4800 euro to buy and ship in. It cost me 8800 euro in total to get it on the road with the vrt etc

So 5 weeks later i finally got my new baby and it was love at first sight, but unfortunatly my car had a dark secret it was waiting to tell me going up the M1, the clutch was completely knackered and it went within 3 days of noticing it (actually went in the M50 tol booth).
So the next day after getting my dad to tow me home during rush hour i dropped it into the subaru garage in noolans cross (know the owner thank god), so they opened up the car and found that i need a New Clutch, Fly Wheel, Both Timing belts need replacing and all the seals around the gear box where leaking all over the place, it turns out the clutch going was a blessing in disguise and it could of been a lot worse. It cost me a thougher 1700 euro plus a discount so fix the car on top of the 8800 i payed the week before :cry:

Well, finally got my car back 2 weeks ago and have since drivin it to kerry and im back in love, atleast now i know theres not much else that can go wrong i just need to get the engine remapped. Also the while driving up the M1 i descovered my car isnt restricted like most imports so :dance:

Also the Guy in the garage doesnt reckon my car is 280bhp he thinks its probably more like 320bhp is this normal?

Il post picks when i get a chance also i need advice on what the Apexi thing is fitted onto my dash bored, i know its a speed-o and revs and lap times but theres a few other things it does which i havent a clue, i post a pick of it later.

:subaru:

Welcome along :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but when all's said and done, you've still got yourself a very cheap Scooby there. Sometimes these motors can break your heart, but the fun you have in between times more than makes up for the niggles :subaru:

Welcome to the site mate :thumbsup:
Glad your car is sorted! :D Yea a re map is essential!
Is the ca modified in any way? What makes him think its 320bhp? Stock from Japan they are 280ps which is maybe about 276bhp so unless its seriously modified its not even that. 276bhp is the figure when the car is brand new and running on 100RON fule. The most I'd imagine it could be is 250-60bhp and thats being generous!!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tale anything away from your car as we all (ISDC members) love to see someone with a fast Scooby :headbanger: but I don't want to see you disappointed if you get it rolling road tested.
Could that device be a turbo timer?? Or is it a hand held unit? possibly an Apexi Power Fc Commander??

Nah its not the Turbo timer, ive one of them fitted also, this thing is like a Speed odimeter, counts ur revs, also has a lap timer, saves ur highest speed on the trip, etc, but i was told it can agust ur boost amount also so im not willing to play around with it to much because i dont wana mess up that, and blow my car up. Think its called a APEXI Delimiter?

Dunno why the guy in the garage said he thinks its probably 320, cause i know its 280bhp standard in them Sti, but good knows what some people do to there cars b4 they sell them.

Id say this is it so. Cant alter boost. The AVCR is the boost one.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Il post a picture of it tonight once the girlfriend comes home and shows me how to, its about the same size and shape has that 1 Renno but it would b a older model, it can only display 1 thing at the time. Its more of a black colour and the display is in oranage, it also indicates when to change gears which is anoying, exspeacily when ur in 5th

welcome to d club mate :)
sorry to hear bout ur troubles but at least u caught it at d right time or it could have been alot worse lets hope its happy days 4rm here in. happy posting :thumbsup:

welcome to the club i'd say its an older rsm u have the new ones de-limit the car and yours isnt limited

Well once the speedometer in the cat hits 180 kmh its stops because its not conveted to mph but the apexi thing just keeps going, ive done 215 kmh so far at half 5 in the morning on the M1 going to work, i was told the limiter is still in the car working but the APEXI just over rides it telling the car its not fitted.

As said by maximusbiggus they are 276bhp in japan and thats on 102ron fuel. So its realistic about 260. Full decat on her maybe 275bhp. Don't believe these telephone number quotes mate.

Hey Wetpatch,
Welcome aboard  :thumbsup:
Great to see your having so much fun
in your car .....M50 5am in the morn  :D :D

and not trying to put a dampner on things but
your taking a big chance if you drive your car like that
till you get a re-map. your car will suffer badly from KNOCK
(pre-detination of fuel) simply casue it should be running
on 101RON and not 95RON .
Check this link and it will explain it a little better.
http://www.isdc.ie/discussion/index.php?topic=595.0
look at my post that should put you in the right direction.

Ha.... love the name  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Niall.

Yeah i know, just dont have the cah to get it done atm, im looking at the end of january intill i have the cash to get it done unfortuatly

Welcome along :thumbsup:

The limiter in your car is probably electronic so the Apexi unit is over-riding it..... as said previously take it easy until you get re-map and get yourself some Lucas in the meantime :thumbsup:

Alan.

Talk to Renno / Damo about mapping I think he has around 10 cars geting done in Jan by the man himself ANDY FOREST already so you might be able get onto that.

Back