New STI Engine

flat4hore

Hi folks... im sure this topic has been covered more than once but here goes anyway.

Reciently bought a cheap version 1 STI (plate inside bay with No.45/100 on it) did they only make 100 version 1`s in 94?
and were the engines a red top? coz this one isnt..

also if i drop a 98-99 sti engine into it will i have to change the ecu to an sti ecu or can i just map the one thats in it..

any advise or corrections on this would be fantastic..

Cheers....

Welcome to the club.

If u look in the traders section theres a few lads who know there stuff down there. Davelegacy or Renno can point u in the right direction and give u all the advice u need.

I had number 86 of 100 a few years back, super car never had it mapped and drove the sh1t out of it and its still going today, might not be the same engine but when i had it it never missed a beat.
My one didnt have a red top just a pink plate with the number on it.

Must be a early type R of some discription, as the limited's of the time were WRX-RA.
Ver 1 & 2 didn't have the red inlet manifold.

A Ver 4 ECU usually plug's in, but most of the 5's have a different connection. The later ECU's will produce a stronger mid range, but you can get your original ECU mapped using Ecu-Tek. Why do you want to change the engine.

John

aren't those early engines closed block? if so, myself I'd rather stick to it and, if necessary, modify this one...

[quote author=johnny99 link=topic=9111.msg107987#msg107987 date=1219703115]
Must be a early type R of some discription, as the limited's of the time were WRX-RA.
Ver 1 & 2 didn't have the red inlet manifold.

A Ver 4 ECU usually plug's in, but most of the 5's have a different connection. The later ECU's will produce a stronger mid range, but you can get your original ECU mapped using Ecu-Tek. Why do you want to change the engine.

John
[/quote]

The STI VERSION 1's were producedin 2 batches. First was batch of 100 saloons and 100 wagons and second batch was 200 saloons and 200 wagons. They did NOT have red inlet manifolds. But V2 STi on DID have red manifold.

A V4 STI is a 3 plug Conection and the V1 STi is a 4 plug so won't fit. All v5's are 4 plug.

Ecutek mapping is only available for v5 onward imprezas.

As above why you thinking of changing engine? Is yours damaged??

You can put upto V4 long engine in your car but you will have to keep your inlet manifold etc.

Not sure of your current situation as in do you have engine damage or are you just looking to gain power etc.
If you want to call me or email me we can have a chat.

thanx

DAVE

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=9111.msg107998#msg107998 date=1219705186]
In that case i really can't stress highly enough to stay from ANY second hand engine.

Totally agree with that statment, Rebuild your own. If it's a closed deck block (good possibility) you won't start with a better block.

John

[/quote]

Would really have to know your long term plans for car etc.

as in is it engine in to resell? or engine in to enjoy her for years to come??

do you plan high power mods etc etc?

I could be wrong,
But the engine in the pic is a new age one! Inlet manifold and Intercooler give away!
So I'd be abit suspect to be honest!
As Johnny and Dave said rebuild origional if closed deck or brand new bottom end is about €2200! maybe even a 2.5 :049:
She worth spending a few quid on!
Dan

well it would be a weekend car.... dont want any big power mods... i think they are 250-260bhp standard (correct me if im wrong) so im happy stayin with that.. reliable yet quick if ya get me

[quote author=flat4hore link=topic=9111.msg108011#msg108011 date=1219706488]
well it would be a weekend car.... dont want any big power mods... i think they are 250-260bhp standard (correct me if im wrong) so im happy stayin with that.. reliable yet quick if ya get me
[/quote]

rebuild your own with ACL Race bearings or new STi 7/8 short engine. (have in stock)

Back