Tyres Rubbing Off Arches

KudzSTi

Petrolheads
Hi Folks, i have a set of alloys on my 97 jap sti , they are OZ Ultraleggera 17" with a 225/45-17 tyre. the driverside rear is grand but the passenger side rear is rubbing off the arch. upon closer inspection by myself i have noticed that the passenger wheel is sticking out further from the arch than the driver side someone told me that the camber is off and to loosen the two bolts on the shock and push it in. i tried this and there was no movement on the hub at all. i canno see anything bent that could be causing this and am out of ideas. has anyone ever had similar trouble or does anyone know what could be wrong :dunno: :wall: , i can email pics as i cant post them here

Thanks
John

Them wheels may have been on a new age car. The classic size tyre is 215/45/17
Some people also run 215/40/17

Prodrive run 205/45/17 on the P1 and RB5.

i bought the wheels new a few weeks ago and the old ones i had on it used to rub on the same arch aswel but the old wheels were the wrong offset so they were very tight against the callipers, i made sure the wheels were for the classic before i ordered them so maybe the solution could be the smaller tyre as suggested and the arch rolled aswell to be on the safe side

Hey Kudz. You wont need to roll the arch once the right tyres are on them.

205/40-17 mite be the best option so but wit the sh*t roads i can see the rims goin to crap, wonder would a 205/45 be ok

[quote author=KudzSTi link=topic=1001.msg8255#msg8255 date=1165770323]
205/40-17 mite be the best option so but wit the sh1t roads i can see the rims goin to crap, wonder would a 205/45 be ok
[/quote]

215/45/17 then.

Lads if the car isn't lowered
a classic scoob should have no probs with 17"
wheels ??????????
and the fact it's only 1 wheel rubbing, i'd definitly
say your camber is wrong.

I have the same prob with my own at the mo.
STI TypeR with 18"s 225 R40.................never a prob
with rubbing even with 2 in the back, until i got 4 new tyres,
tracked balanced etc........... now the wheels rub with just me in it,
on hard cornering, bumpy back roads etc.....................now there is for &
against this type of camber set up on my car but i'll leave that for another post.

As for me, im getting the car's tracking camber etc changed before Rolling back the Arches

Niall.

I'd stick with the 45's at the moment, the 40 tyres leave less rubber to protect your light wheels on our notorious potholed roads.
I had this problem with 18" superleggies.

Image000.jpg
      Not Rubbing

Image001.jpg
     Rubbing

iv tried to get the angle perfect and this is how it looks, there is a real noticable difference

[quote author=P1 Alan link=topic=1001.msg8427#msg8427 date=1165961293]
I had fixed the link for you :thumbsup:

Alan.
[/quote]

cheers alan, what did i do wrong

Dave your right the new Toyo T1s have
rim protection ..............i think.

say as opposed to my last set the T1r's

anyway i'll get to the bottom of it ..........

Niall.

Back