Big ends - what are the main causes

Paddy GT

Sunday Drivers
Something that always interested me why are scooby big ends so fragile in comparison to other similar performance cars ? Is their any steps you should that will lessen the chances of them going ?

what if the car was nener doughnutted?... I think what he means is what causes it, I know it's oil starvation.
Cheers
John

main causes are donuts and oil pump failure or if the oil is let run low enough and then sharp cornering can also cause it.

If your oil pump fails will it show up on an oil
pressure gague.........ie. low pressure. or would that only happen if
the sump was damaged.

The reason i ask, is there any way of knowing or pre-warning of a
big end about to go bang ?????

Mine went on my car while i was travelling at aprox 40mph-50mph
straight strech of road stuck in rush hour traffic.......after that had new engine
fitted luckly it was under warranty.

Niall.

yep would show up on an oil pressure gauge but oil pressure only needs to drop for a few seconds or drop for a second at high rpm and big ends would go bang. its the pressure relief valve inside the pump that sticks open and thus no oil pressure, when doing any sort of rebuild a modified oil pump such as cosworth should be fitted as they have modified relief valves fitted to eradicate the problem.

George

Big ends - what are the main causes

Donuts can cause this , especially if you eat too many . :D :lol:

Seriously though , using the wrong oil such as Mobil 1 0w/40 will lead to rapid big end wear .

Incorrect oil as turbo said or low on oil are the most common causes. If the oil is not changed at correct intervals, it can also go out of grade, ie, a 10W50 can become a 5W30. I always listen to number 3 with a stethescope and give the engine a good rev before I do any engine work on one. If there is slight wear, you can here a slight rumble. The oil pump and the crank are not the best design's ever.

John

Back