TRUTH or PORKY PIES

tractorman

Read an article on ebay by somebody that was selling a subaru with some nice spec,including a FMIC.He went onto give a thought provoking fact,maybe.With the aerodynamics of the impreza ,when you go over 100mph with a tmic there is no air getting into the scoop,and a high risk of detonation.The air flows directly over the scoop to about a foot up the windscreen.After reading the article i remember having alot of detonation on m50/m1 in fifth gear when giving it a bit of welly.Just wondering if anybody else has heard the same?It makes alot sense really,another good reason for FMIC?
ALAN

if it goes a foot up the windscreen are you planning putting the FMIC on the roof?????????????????? :ponder: :ponder: :ponder: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats true as far as I know. I think Andy might have said that before. Thats why alot of people tilt the TMIC in way that it will take more air in.

but even if you tilt the tmic,over 100mph the airflow over the bonnet totally misses the scoop/intercoolerUnder 100mph ,tilting=definitely
anybody else notice alot more detonation at these speeds,tmic need only apply..?
Damien,did you notice an improvement when you changed to fmic?

Alan

i heard that aswell alan.ive been told thats why the new shape sti scoobys have bigger scoop to get the air in,also if you look at the wrc car it has the fmic but keeps the small scoop for the look and less drag than the big scoop.defo an aerodynamic flaw for high speed

[quote author=tractorman link=topic=963.msg7890#msg7890 date=1165274600]
but even if you tilt the tmic,over 100mph the airflow over the bonnet totally misses the scoop/intercoolerUnder 100mph ,tilting=definitely
anybody else notice alot more detonation at these speeds,tmic need only apply..?

Alan
[/quote]

I think at that speed even the air going into the scoob goes everywhere even with the rubber undertray thing. Ive heard of a fair few scoobs leting go on very high speed runs on TMIC and I noticed a huge difference when I went Front mount and now in the winter on a cold night its a different car and still at safe boost. Last night I was coming out of Dublin and the car felt better then ever which I put down to the colder temp. And IMO the massive lag issue is a myth or if not a myth hugely exaggerated.

Damo

[quote author=Renno555 link=topic=963.msg7892#msg7892 date=1165275365]
[quote author=tractorman link=topic=963.msg7890#msg7890 date=1165274600]

Alan
[/quote]

I think at that speed even the air going into the scoob goes everywhere even with the rubber undertray thing. Ive heard of a fair few scoobs leting go on very high speed runs on TMIC and I noticed a huge difference when I went Front mount and now in the winter on a cold night its a different car and still at safe boost. Last night I was coming out of Dublin and the car felt better then ever which I put down to the colder temp. And IMO the massive lag issue is a myth or if not a myth hugely exaggerated.

Damo
[/quote]

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

There is a thread about this somewhere on the English site, can't remember where though.

What the thread suggested was sticking a few threads or lengths of wool to the bonnet and driving the car at speed. Apparently at higher speeds the threads start going around in circles suggesting no direct airflow into the scoop. I never tried it myself but it does make sense.

Front mounting is definitely the way to go for higher power, has to be, might as well make that brick like drag co-efficent work in your favour.

I hope you weren't doing 100 plus when yours went bang Alan. That's illegal.

Have you decided which way to go? 2.5, twin scroll and FMIC I hope, it's either that or the Volvo.

(Oh or buy an Evo which comes with the intercooler already in the right place)

As far as I can remember it was Harvey that done that test with the bit of string or cotton wool.

At a certain stage even the larger Top mount Intercoolers are still a compromise compared to a front mount. And apart from running more boost with one think about the safety factor.

OK on the flip side what are the benifits of a
TMIC over the FMIC ?????????

I'll take the easy one NOooooooooooo Lag
Anymore ?? :ponder: :ponder:

Niall.

@ John, i think its because of the fjords they have to drive through, remeber argintina when solberg drove through the big fjord, i think it smash up the fmic and it couldnt make it up the hill on the other side!

Has the WRC Car not got an intercooler half way between TMIC and half way between FMIC ? It kinda sits in the middle on an angle ?

Its a bit like when Andy F had his TMIC before he went FMIC then no intercooler at all but it was like no other TMIC  available on the market. For his top speed run  I think he used a FMIC. Pic below. With some of the smaller turbos ( TD04 ) front mounts arent a good thing so TMIC would be better.

[attachment deleted by admin]

the S11 ('05) had a halfway intercooler, air came in the from of the car and out the big slot in the fround of the bonnet, but the S12 ('06) has a Tmic

after finding this imformation,i definitely am going to get a front mount fitted.Especially if i'm going to do a few track days.Main straight in kirkistown Des Cullen was hitting between 115- 125mph in his non modified sti.
Another querry would be on the debate of mapping,road vs rollers.Surely the rollers should more efficient for mapping above the 100mph,especially for the trackdays.Best bet maybe.
Andy forrest to map on road up to the legal limit(FQ340) and the rollers up to max speed approx 140mph :D :D :thumbsup: :clap: :nana:

Id say defo not, the likes of Andy dont need to do over 100mph to map a car well and even better then anyone else on the rolling road. The only advantage a rollers has is that your not on the road with other traffic. If mapping on rollers was needed for high speeds how would Andy have road mapped his car to do 210mph record. Also if you look at some of the better scoobs in the UK like Andys , Mark Aigin Lateral performance, Paul Blamire , Steven Darley , all road mapped.

Jees,calm down Damo.I thought the smilies would have indicated i was taking the p1ss.Doing both works out vey expensive,never a runner.Mightened be up to speed technically,but i'm no fooken idiot with the money... :nana:

[quote author=tractorman link=topic=963.msg7998#msg7998 date=1165363677]
Jees,calm down Damo.I thought the smilies would have indicated i was taking the p1ss.Doing both works out vey expensive,never a runner.Mightened be up to speed technically,but i'm no fooken idiot with the money... :nana:
[/quote]

Ha Ha sorry I dident mean for that to come accross as I was having a rant, Alot of places will do there base maps on rollers and finnish on the road.

Back