Bulbs/HID Kits

eamo

Sunday Drivers
Hi Lads,

basically i want to upgrade the factory headlight bulbs on my Classic, which are not the best.

Has anyone got any recommondations for upgraded bulbs or should i just keep the money and put it towards a good HID kit.

Anyone used PIAA bulb and are they worth the money.

Thanks

Eamonn

Eamonn,

I used Osram Silver star and Phillips Plus 50% in your car (when I had it) and they made a reasonable difference. When changing the bulbs make sure they're absolutely stone cold as the connectors sometimes fuse when hot and can break when you take the bulb out (it happened on the lhs headlight but I got it fixed!).

For the 40 or 50 euro they cost its worth it. John M Has the PIAA HID kit so he would be able to let you know what they're like ,cost etc.

Frawls

Thanks Frawls,

The Philips ones could be still in it as i dont recall having to change a headlight bulb.

Must check it out at weekend.

Don't find full heads too bad, but the dims could be better.

Travelling 30 miles over mountain roads every evening so could do with an upgrade.

I'll talk to John about the HID's and make up my mind then.

What you driving these days, you havent defected to the darkside i hope.

Eamonn

Eammon,
like Frawls i changed to those fancy power bulbs :)
i was finding it bloody difficult to see any part of the road when a car
was coming towards me with both of our headlights dipped. I had
no probs on full beam just low.

Once i fitted the new bulbs there was no noticable differnce on full beam but
low beam was alot better and alot safer.

Niall.

Hi Eamon. My car came with them on it so I cannot tell you what the cost is. They are a super job especilly on dipped beam but there's a slight black spot on full beam in front of the car.Driving through Wales Thursday early morning my mate was behind me and said that the differece in the two lights was unreal. I am used to them at this stage and the truck has a top and bottom light bar so I'm used to driving with plenty of light :D
CDA do a HID kit but i'm unsure of the cost.
Cheers
John

Thanks Lads,

i'll check out prices first, on Scoobynet i know they done a group buy on a HID kit lately,

so i must do some research.

John i trust you enjoyed Wales, bloody muddy though.The last i heard Gareth had a problem on Sunday, did he finish.

Eamonn

Wales Was Briliant- well recommended :thumbsup: McHale pulled out sunday on the Last stage I think it was with car trouble.
Cheers
John

Thanks Greg,

Have ordered a pair of Philips Xtreme Power H4's,

they are the newest in the Philips line and supposed to be 80% brighter.

I'll see how i get on.

Eamonn

Eamo,

I read a magazine review of about 40 power bulbs last week and they said the Phillips xtreme were amazing and at only £21.50 for the pair a steal to boot. They are supposed to be genuinely plus 80% with no additional glare or flat spots.

I'm sure the lads will be interested in how you find them so let us know how you get on.

Frawls

Will do Alan,

Must be good, they are out of stock at the moment,

could do with them tonight with all this fog.

Eamonn

I tried different types of bulbs claiming xx% brightness & TBH I found little improvement , if any , irrespective of the make . I also tried brighter bulbs but no better . :roll:

What I did recently was rewire the headlights with heavier wire directly from the battery via fuses & relays & used the original wiring to switch the relays . Now I have a noticible improvement with the brighter bulbs fitted so I guess the standard wiring wasn't able to cope with the extra power needed to feed the bulbs .

BTW , if wiring in relays to a subaru they differ from most cars in that the headlights have a permanent live feed & they are switched to earth . I can draw out a diagram if anyone wants it .

The magazine that did the test was Auto Express which is the only car mag that actually does these types of tests on a regular basis. They tested over 40 different makes of bulbs and tbh only about 6 or 7 were any good but of that 6 or 7 2 were very good and the Phillips Xtreme were rated at 5 stars and they said they were if anything even more powerful that plus 80%!

The tests also disqualified bulbs that produced to much glare or flat spots and the majority of plus 30, 50, 60% bulbs were disqualified because of too much glare or a badly focussed beam but the Phillips Xtreme complied fully with EU requirements for glare and light focus and was only one of a handful of high output bulbs to meet these requirements which are a legal requirement ie you can fail your NCT with HO bulbs which produce too much glare or are badly focussed.

I've ordered the active HID lights in my new TT which turn with the steering wheel. As Roy Keen says "All credit to modified motors like but at the end of da day ya can't go to but those useless lights are bringing shame on the family. Everybody's gawking at us"!

PS Niall will probably have to interpret for non Corkconian types like!

Frawls

Frawls

Anyone waiting ages for bulbs from powerbulbs.co.uk?
Apparently they are out of stock of the Philips x-treme.
By time i get them the evenings will be bright again!!!!!1

Same here Greg, ordered the x-treme's middle of December.

Does say on the site that they are out of stock.

They were'nt too slow in taking the payment from the credit card though.

Eamonn

Eamo,

Have ya received anything as yet?

I still havn't got anything in the post and getting a bit peeved now!!By time i get them the nights will be brighter!!!!

Greg

Greg,

Nothing yet, sent them an email about 2 weeks ago. They said they were expecting delivery last week

of Jan, start of Feb and that they will have first new delivery in Europe if you believe that.

Just leaving work now and its still bright so a bit pissed off with it myself.

Eamonn

Eamo,

I sent them an email last week and they said that the bulbs are only going in to manufacture now, they would have them sometime in feb!
I told them to send on the rest of my order coz i ordered 6 bulbs altogether, they said no problem.
I have found them very good to deal with in the past, so i'm not too worried.

Greg

Back