coolant issue

car driver

Sunday Drivers
I have an Irish wrx 03 , I was out in it last night and noticed steam coming from around the right hand side of the bonnet.I pulled over and opened the bonnet and there was a small amount of steam coming from around the area where the tank is also there seemd to be a gurgling and hissing sound too.
Tank was almost empty of coolant ,I filled it slowly with coolant and it seems ok no sign of leak or anything ,also during all this the temperature gauge didnt move from its usual place.
As it was late I went for a spin of about 2 miles and all seemed ok but I was wondering is car ok now as it appeared to be as I am going to Galway this evening from Dublin.
I was hoping as gauge didnt move all would be ok.
Thanks
I

Unusual for the gauge not go go past half way even though as you say you saw steam. Bring a drum of coolant with you on the trip and keep an eye out for anything.

Is the rad failure a problem with the new models? Sounds like it from that. Its either that or one of your rad hoses are gone. About the temp gauge. Its an analog device so it will not react that quickly. Proably the cold air rushing through the front of the bumper was keeping what ever water was in the rad cool. But if you had a digital temp gauge, you can keep a much closer eye on the temp of the engine. But try the rad or rad hose as Ive had both them probs with my type-r

Best of luck and hope it works out for you

Paddy

Thanks for help lads was intending to bring a tin just in case also will watch it carefully and take my time.

Check the upper drivers side of the rad and the top hose. If you unsure and passing Kinnegad on the way to Galway, give a shout if you want, just 10 minutes from M4

John

chris was logged in using my computer, while getting tyre's fitted, didn't know,

John JOMO engineering

Back