cant find it

F

FLIP

hi guys

have an on going problemwith my 96 wrx. i'm getting a fault up for a air idle control valve, but i dont know where it is on the car, i have already replaced two things that i thought might have been it, but the fault is still coming up.. there is only one more thing that i think it is, a sensor behind the power steering pump, with two small pipes coming out of the side of it, this is goiong to be really hard to get out, so i kinda want to be sure that, that's it first.

so does anyone out there know where the air idle control valve is on a 96 wrx.....if any one can help me that would be great, stop me replace parts on the car that is not it

thanks

its on the intake manifold on my Legy , 3 hoses and sensor wires on it. a bit bigger than a fag box. try a gasket first cause its an expensive bit to replace.

thanks lads, i have seen this topic before, but dont think that the link is for my car and i cant seen to find any info on the thread that might help me, mine is a classic and from what i can tell all the cars in that thread seen to be fairly new cars.

IACV is at the bottom of the top mount intercooler to the right of the hose that attaches to the intercooler.

no its not hunting... its not that even... its fine when its cold.. and as soon as it warns up it just starts reving up and down unevenly..like as if its reving up and up, and its try to level its self out...

Could be your temp control sensor at fault and not the idle control valve, mine did the exact same thing, started and drove grand from cold,
but once she'd warmed up, rev's went nuts. Also once parked up and trying to restart warm she didnt wanna know.

yeah she is a bit like that...the ecu fault is a AICV fault....if i was a temp sensor would it not bring up that fault.

Oh yeah, sorry about that, when ever mine acts up i always say it can only be one of five things, then tick them off,
hope you can get it sorted, if your temp sensor does ever go there only about 29 yo yo's from the dealer and easy enough to fit.

Some fella had a diagram of the impreza engine posted up about two weeks ago and it showed where the temp control sensor is, as far as i
remember its at the back on top, bit awkward to get at, just under the intercooler i think, in around that neighbourhood, you'll need a 17inch spanner also.

They are situated in 2 different places depending, on year and if WRX or STi. On some (later classic model) it is on top/side of the throttle body, with the wiring connector facing the passenger side.

The other position is to the passenger side of the throttle body, bolted to the inlet manifold with a rubber hose coming off it, and if you follow it, it will run across the inlet manifold towards the drivers side.

They seldom give trouble, but need to be cleaned every now and again.

John

[quote author=Murto link=topic=8290.msg99483#msg99483 date=1216133536]
Some fella had a diagram of the impreza engine posted up about two weeks ago and it showed where the temp control sensor is, a
[/quote]

That was me....here it is again.
eij9dw.jpg

What year car is the picture for, its not right or the same as mine as the throttle body is different on mine as the throttle position sensor is on the other side of the throttle body than the one in the picture, and i dont think the problem that i have is the temp sensor.. thanks every one for helpping me out but i still dont know where the air idle control valve is on my car and i dont know where has to be cleaned, so i think i'm just going to have to take off the throttle body and intercooler and clean them both and se hoe i get on after that....:(

right lads, if anyone out there can help me i really need it :cry:

here what its doing.... fine when cold, as soon as it get warm when idling its start reving up and down, like as if its reving up and its trying to level its self out, when i take off the intercooler and spary some carb cleaner in the trottle body, it idles ok and drives for a about 3 or 4 miles ok then it slowly starts doing the same problem again,its in limp home mode so it wont rev over 4500rpm, even when its cold (i know i shouldn try it when its cold), the code i am getting up on the dash is for the air idle control valve,which i cant find on the car... i have tried all the place that people have said and its not any of them,so
here's what i have done so far... changed two coil packs, the spark plugs, the air mass meter, the trottle pistion sensor,taken off the trottle body and intercooler and clean them both.

my car is a wrx english import, not a jap one... its on the same engine as in the picture above or the air idle control valve is not on or near the trottle body or under it as i have taken out the trottle body and checked.

[glow=red,2,300]please if anyone can help me, i really need it.[/glow]

thanks

if you have changed two coil packs it has to be the older type(later has only one). idle control valve to the right rear of manifold while looking into engine. think its two 12mm bolts two water pipes and one 20mm type air hose. have some spare ones here(dublin), but probley just needs a clean :thumbsup:

i'm based in galway...i'll take a look at that and see if i can see it... i'll post some pictues of it as well. but it will be wednesday before i can get them up..

thanks

Back