Are my brakes ok for track????????

Paul v4

Petrolheads
Howdy lads, Im looking forward to this next track day comming up and am just wondering if my brakes are up to the test

of a full day in mondello they are Braided hoses,tar-ox discs,mintex pads, has anybody been around mondello

with the same type of set up and how did you find it?

Thanks paul :thumbsup:

Hey Paul,Johnny went round mondello with braided hoses and redstuff front pads on standard discs and he seemed happy enough with them,so id say you will be fine.
Have you good brake fluid in??
How good are your back pads??

Dont know what brake fluid is in her but i will get a good one, what type would you recommend ?

and how do i know how good my pads are do i hav to take them out?

I have motul 5.1 fliud in thats good stuff,but any fluid thats has a 5.1 or higher will be good... :thumbsup:

To check your pads,best prob take the wheel off to get a better look at the pad wear.
I had ebc yellow stuff on for the last track day we did and used up half the pad for just half the day,maybe have a spare set,even a cheap set just to maybe bring you home if you burn out the original set you come up with.... :dunno:

i did a trackday last year but forgot to upgrade the brake fluid :oops: was running 4 pots with goodridge lines and dot 3 or some shite like that, lost brakes after 2 laps and then every other 2 laps when i went out again :hang: so yeah high performance fluid a must :thumbsup:

Can you mix the the high performance stuff with the DOT3?

It might be useful if somebody posted a list of fluids for all the various systems and some basic do's and don'ts. Loadsa karma on the way I'm sure.

no i wouldnt say its good practice to mix brake fluids, complete fliud change to dot 5 im sure. great idea about the brake fluids STI TYPE R :thumbsup: can somebody tell us the best brand to use for trackday :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

I use mintex racing fluid! No problems :thumbsup: Motul is savage also
The simple guide to making the best of what you've got!
Buy yourslef as set of Mintex racing 1155 pads (not extreme) or ferodo 3000 or ebc yellow stuff pads, just fronts,
Then bleed through the new racing spec (dot 5.1 fluid) and flush the system with the good stuff!
Then follow appropriate bed in proceedure for the pads and have a great day!
Even if you have plenty of pad left on your car already, It's not a waste just use them again after the trackday!
Dan

Ta Dan, where would i get mintex racing fluid and a set of Mintex racing 1155 pads? How much ?

and is it a hard job to change the pads and fluid.

[quote author=STi Type R link=topic=8217.msg98245#msg98245 date=1215563034]
Can you mix the the high performance stuff with the DOT3?

It might be useful if somebody posted a list of fluids for all the various systems and some basic do's and don'ts. Loadsa karma on the way I'm sure.
[/quote]

not supposed to mix fluids

[quote author=Paul v4 link=topic=8217.msg98255#msg98255 date=1215565060]

Ta Dan, where would i get mintex racing fluid and a set of Mintex racing 1155 pads? How much ?

and is it a hard job to change the pads and fluid.
[/quote]

Richie in pro parts does mintex. I'm sure he'd get them for you.

I got Castrol SWT Racing Barake Fluid ready to go into mine, got it from extreme 45 in turvey business park

@dan whats wrong with mintex extreme pads ...??? i put a set on a few months ago :ponder: :ponder: are they shite?? haven't had any probs so far??

Do try buy from club traders when possible! :thumbsup:
Mintex extreme are just ever so slightly better than standard! No were near good enough for track use!
They will get to hot, wear very quicky and fade after a couple of hard laps!
So competition grade pads are best suited, But they are pricey so just put them on for the track and keep your road pads for afterwards!
Changing pads is so easy! Jack the up front end , use axle stands or blocks of wood for safety, take off the wheels, gentley squeeze the pads away from the disc untill they are as far back in the caliper as possible on both sides of the disc, check that your fluid isn't over flowing from the reservoir, if it is, soak up with kitchen roll and rise with water, then remove the clips/pins that hold the pads in *be carefull with the spring when it releases*, then remove old pads and any slim metal plates that are behind them, Put it all back together the way you took it apart, and make sure you don't forget any parts! Do one side completely then pump the brakes to drop the fluid level in the reservoir, then go at the far side!
If you need new fluid, get yourself a small bit of about 4-6mm wide rubber hose that fits tightly over your bleed nipple, start with the back passenger side caliper open the nipple and get some on to pump the brake pedal till the reservoir is very nearly empty then put abit of your new fluid into the recervoir and keep pumping till the new fluid is bled through, then close the nipple, Do this on all 4 calipers making sure never to run the reservoir dry! Then fill the reservoir with new fluid, Then back to the back pasenger side caliper, have someone pump the pedal couple of times till its hard , hold it down, then loosen nipple but try close it again before the pedal hits the bottom, do this 3 times at each corner, making sure not to forget that the front calipers have 2 bleed nipples on each one! Give your calipers a good clean while your there and your DONE!

***VERY IMPORTANT***
If you're not absolutly sure you can do this then don't chance it, they are your brakes so you're fooked if they don't work! leave it to the pro's,
Use the rubber hose to pump the waste fluid into a coke bottle and then dispose of it responsibly,
Brake fluid is nasty stuff, mind your driveway, your wheels, body work and hands! brake fluid will fook with all of them!
Soak up spillages with kitchen towel quickly and rinse well with plenty of water!

I'm sure there are quicker and maybe better ways to do all this but this is what I do!
A bit of work in it but well worth it if done properly!
Best of luck!
Dan

Back