help needed ( video now added)

marksscooby

Petrolheads
there is a rattling noise coming from the engine in my type r when you accelarate along the road the rattle gets worse and when i leave it idle it rattles still. could it be the bottom end going and would it be okay to drive it a while i need it for work? what price would a bottom end package cost including labour? i only have the car 3 months i bought it off a man thats in the car trade. the plugs were changed 2 days ago if they were not tight enough would this cause the rattle?

Re: help needed

As above mate,stop driving till you find out whats up with it,does sound like your bottom end has gone,best get it checked by a mechanic.as for new engines,speak to one of the traders.
It depends what you want from your car,a standard one again or up-rated internals,maybe 2.5 with bigger turbo,it all depends on your budget....

@ scoobyke i would be interested in the 2.5 litre package off renno for 2650 euro but whats the labour like :ponder:

Well that depends on who will fit it for you,if you bottom end has gone,id look at prob getting a bigger turbo,18/20g,maybe.
Has your car being mapped before???
Have you being running your car on booster???

doubt it has anything to do with plug change mark!!!!!!!!!
bottom end is possible but as above dont drive it anywhere
bad luck mate!!!!

i was running it on lucas octane boost, i only put up 1000 kms on it since i got it. no its not mapped i was going to get it mapped soon looks like im too late :(

im not too interested in the power figure i just want to get something like the 2.5 package i was hoping for around the 300 bhp to 310 bhp dont mind as long as its okay again :thumbsup:

Well then stick with original turbo,and 2.5,while ya at it,change you fuel pump,and prob best look at getting new oil pump...
Get it fixed and get her mapped asap...
Speak to dave at sti tunning too,between the 2 traders am sure they will sort you out .... :thumbsup:

thanks all especially scoobyke :thumbsup: so its more than likely the bottom end, :(
would i be better off staying with the 2 litre bottom end :ponder: i would be happy with 300 bhp to 310 bhp i would like to have a strong engine block.
can i get it remapped without the mods a while or would i be better off to wait i will only do the following:
blitz catback system, pipercross panel filter, hayward and scott catted downpipe, 1 bar boost

You would get 300 no prob on a standard 2.0 ltr block,but will need the mods to help it,de-cat down pipe esp,then panel filter,etc etc,if you went for the 2.5 you would end up with more torque....which we like better than bhp.... :D
But get all your mods first then re-map....

i forgot to mention that it started rattling when i filled up my car while the truck was pumping the fuel in the underground tanks would bad fuel cause the rattling because it happened straight after i filled up 50 euro worth? thanks :thumbsup:

jesus thats a lot of rebuild talk for a rattle,maybe it something loose.

were are you from mark,get somebody that knows what there talking from the club to have a look and listen,

theres lots of cork lads on here that can look at it for you,im sure they will come along soon.

but if it is the bottom end id bring it back to were you got it

I hope you get her sorted soon!
It might not be that bad,
Do we have any traders based in The Republic of Cork??
Best of luck!
Dan

i have a video added of the noise when cold and hot its still the same and its the same when you rev it up hope this helps :( its a bit louder than in the video

Video muffle's the sound, but I would say that's a rattle from the crankshaft. Dont drive it any more. Need to get is sorted.

John

Crankshaft (big-end) bearing. The engine would need to be stripped to see if there is damage to the crankshaft and con-rods.

John

This is how I desribed my big end failure of my old car,
Sounds pretty similar
Dan

Possible engine problem!
« on: April 14, 2007, 06:08:51 pm » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would apprieciate any help or advise anyone can give me! I have a black 98 jap forester turbo auto for work (de-badged grill and lowered) that i could never bring myself to sell in favour of something sensible (deisel). the engine has never missed a beat untill today that is i was just over taking someone on the back road from newbridge to sallins (home) when she lost a bit of power on full throttle and when i let off there seemed to be a noticable metalic CLACK CLACK CLACK so nursed it to the side of the road to chech it out, bonnet up then the car i just overtook beeped, laughed and drove on any way she ticks over grand but when i revved she'd rev up ok but when i let off CLACK CLACK CLACK and if i rev and hold at say 2500 rpm it's constant CLACK CLACK CLACK etc. so any ideas? if I need a new engine, can any body recomend a course of action, also while i'm having work done i might consider putting manual 'box possibly dccd unit! any thoughts! i like the auto but it has'nt got the same street cred as a manual.
many thanks for any help!
Dan Byrne,

Back