How to : Fit rear coilovers to a v6 sti

scoobywankenobi

Petrolheads
Lads, got a set of buddy club junior spec adjustable coilovers for a stupid price :D Now, the rear ones are a little less straightforward to fit than the fronts so I thought Id put up a little 'how to' for anyone who might be curious :thumbsup:

First off, I jacked the car up at the rear and removed the rear wheels. Now, the top strut mounts cannot be accessed via the boot, which means the rear seat had to be removed. This is fairly straightforward - there are two 12mm bolts holding the bench section, positioned opposite where your calf muscle would be if you were sitting in the seat (see below)

DSC00667.jpg

Once the bench is out, there is another 12mm holding the seat back in place. Once this is off, the seat will pop off the clips holding it at the top.

DSC00666.jpg

Once the seat is out of the way, you can easily access the strut top, which has 3 nuts securing it (see the remaining one sitting behind the seatbelt pretensioner below)
N.B - I found it easier in the end to remove the 14mm bolt holding the pretensioner in, and moving it out of the way.

DSC00661.jpg

With the top end free, I set about undoing the bottom. Its a simple case of un-clipping the brake hose from the strut, and undoing the 19mm nut and bolts holding the strut to the hub assembly (note you may have to lift the hub when removing to take the weight off the bolts)

DSC00662.jpg

With those bolts out, the hub should tilt down - its ok to let it hang :thumbsup: then all you have to do is move the shock to the left/right and it will fall out. some difference in size as you can see :shock:

DSC00663.jpg

My coilovers have a camber adjustment on them too, and after some head-scratching I realised that 2 of the small securing bolts on the top of the camber plate had to be moved as when the strut was in place, they were catching on the hole in the body.
Where they were :

DSC00659.jpg

Where they needed to be :

DSC00660.jpg

With that minor issue sorted, it was a simple case of complete in reverse order, only thing i did different was put a jack under the wheel hubs to make it easier to alignt the holes for the 19mm bolts. Hope this is of use to somebody!!

cheers,
Derek :thumbsup:

DSC00665.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

ggod work there and a very nice step by step pics/information for anyone wanting to diy it at home. :clap: :thumbsup:

That ma deserves some karma for that....! come on lads you know thats a useful public service he has provided..... Great job Del Boy

Back