at the brink of burning my car out !!!

KudzSTi

Petrolheads
hey guys am stil having the same issue with my car and seems to be getting worse i just feel like sticking a match to it at this stage :cry: :cry: :cry:...
il try to be as accurate as possible...

car was running perfect up to a few weeks ago
first i noticed was when starting car cold it would go to 1500 rpm as normal but when throttle pressed she would drop to 900-1000rpm and be a bit spluttery :angry: :angry:
i assumed it was prob the coolant temp sensor and changed this but still was the same
it was suggested that the compression could be down in one of the cylinders but i doubt this as its very responsive once it heats up.. and also it passed the nct a week ago :dance:
i have sprayed carb cleaner on all the vacuum hoses and there is not one leak anywhere, i also changed the fuel filter and reset the ECU (Standard ECU)... i plugged the green wires together for the diagnostic and no codes flashed up after driving it when i connected the black ones ???
the other day i started it as normal and didn rev i decided id just let her heat up normally and i noticed when she was warming up she would go to cut out a few times in a row and then go back to normal revs... the stranger part was the main engine fan was also on and the car cold :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
and to finally top everything off this morning when she was heating up i heard noises coming from the head area that sounded like something sparking/crackling like if u blew a fuse r somethin... it sounds like one of the coil packs (96 model so 1 for each plug) was shorting or something like that....

can anyone please help or advise on someone who can as this is driving me mad :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks so much in advance
John :subaru: :subaru: :subaru: :subaru: :subaru:

check your plug leads mate, ive heard of a few scoobs (and one of my own actually) where the lead was intermittently losing contact with the plug..just something for you to check :thumbsup:

thanks for the reply, could a worn plug lead cause that when cold and be ok when hot do u think

Thanks
John

[quote author=keith555 link=topic=7941.msg95210#msg95210 date=1214244221]
marko that sounds mad dangerous but your right. :lol:

[/quote]

no danger lad....just dont touch anything or you'll get a little tingle up your b***** that will tell the brain... dont touch that again!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol:

excellent stuff lads i will try when get home, any other ideas with what could be wrong if not this

Actually the problem is easy to identify John.........

.....you forgot to renew your ISDC membership ;)

[quote author=nodge link=topic=7941.msg95264#msg95264 date=1214253712]
Actually the problem is easy to identify John.........

.....you forgot to renew your ISDC membership ;)
[/quote]

yes i was thinkin that alright payday friday so will be doin it then .....

simpson scandal update LOL ... i poured water over the coil pack on the driver side of the engine and she sarted splutterin and on the left side nothin happened so im thinkin 1 of the packs on the driverside is cracked so have to call my friends at subaru to get a new one... hopefully not too dear off them i was lokin on a website and they want 69.99 sterling :shock: :shock: :shock: hopefully my prob will be sorted then :subaru: :subaru: :subaru: :computer:

I don't know if your in Dublin but the lads in crumlin Subaru garage are very good they helped me out and charged me feck all
for a new coil pack, plugs and leads fitted. Could be worth trying.

also check to see if the throttle ibody is clean , had a similar problem with mine and found it to be the butterfly valve in the throttle body dirty.
use stp carb spray or golden eagle if you can get it most good motor factors will have it. best of luck :thumbsup:

Have you got her sorted yet???
Did you contact any of the club tuners???
I have only had dealings with Davelegy (STI Tuning) in Citywest and Johnny (JOMO) Kilucan, Westmeath,
Either would get you motoring in no time!
She's worth spending a few quid on to get her sorted!
Dan

hey forrestersti im goin over this mornin to get the coil pack in subaru so hopefully she will be sorted...i work in citywest so that could be quiet handy

hey guys got the coil pack this morning and am gonna fit it when i get home from work, i know the bad one is on the drivers side of the engine but am uncertain as to which one it is as i have sprayed water on them and am uncertain, is there any way of checking them wit a multimeter, i know i can test with a screwdriver and see if the spark is blue or a yellowish colour but dont fancy gettin a shock 30000 volts wouldn agree wit me i dont think :shock:...

Well you could take it handy and replace the HT leads one at a time, starting with the drivers side first. It could be as simple as a bad HT lead with
any luck.:thumbsup:

Back