Engine starter dead (?)

RudeBoy

Petrolheads
Hi all,

another week - another problem :/
this time my engine starter seems to be dead - when I put the key and turn the power on it seems all fine - there is a power, but when I try to start
the engine it's completely quiet - starter is not even ticking, completely nothing.
The question is - where in Dublin could I get it fixed or replaced as soon as possible (I'm just before relocation, ehhh... good time for problems)

It's STI Type R my99 if this matters , I don't know if there are differences between starters in different model years?

Cheers
Jacek

Yes - fuses seem to be fine. But i'll double check them yet.
Does anyone know which fuse is for what actually?

cheers

btw - the starter itself is somewhere under tmic, is that right? I'll double check wires maybe yet

Did it just all of a sudden stop working or have you noticed it recently? One of the lads thats a mechanic mighrt know better but i would have thought it unusual for it to just stop unless the motor has been burnt out. Does the ignition come on and just the starter doesnt kick in? Yes, its under the top mount, top and bottom bolt holding it in. Just disconnect the wires and undo the bolts.

No immobilizer - and actually it was working just yesterday. Last night it seemed to hesitate a bit but started the engine, but today absolutely nothing - power is on, but no ignition.
When I push my car to start it, the engine starts and works fine.

Actually this might be maybe those wires - armature, or whatever it's called... burnt? If that's what BlackLegacy means.
Is there any workshop that fixes these kind of problems in Dublin?

If the wires or the motor has burnt out , then if you lift up the bonnet, sounds weird but have a sniff around the intercooler and see if you can get the smell of electrical burning... You cant miss it, its feckin disgusting.

When my starter was burnt out it was because the car was running with the starter left engaged and it burnt out the motor and that blew one of the main fuses. When i opened up the bonnet you could smell it straight away.

Thats about the extent of my knowledge on the subject, but if its not blowing fuses or anything and its not even attempting to kick the starter then maybe one of the wires on the starter has just come loose?

just check that there is power on the ignition wire to the starter just incase the ignition switch is faulty....
more than likely the starter is faulty....
starter is just under tmic....piece of piss to fit
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just did a check on cables going to starter. quick training in taking tmic out of the car and putting it back :) and I found the starter and cables, but no smells, no nothing. I think I need an electrician with meter or something.

thanks guys
Jacek

I started my car pushing it and made a small trip - actually the battery should charge a bit, but still nothing after that.

Just in case - any idea how expensive can be a starter?

The battery wont charge if there is a problem with the alternator, you need to check these things first before going near the starter.

Back