What to go for induction kit or a panal filter

Echo

Middle Lane Hogs
What to go for induction kit or a panal filter Have an sti panal filter on order but which is the best for a Legacy Bl5 04-08 and what induction kit :wall:

from what ive heard, panel filter seems to be the best setup.(have K+N panel in mine) something to do with the pipe work on the induction kits causing weird resonating issues and giving erratic readings to the MAF sensor? I'd say stick in your STI filter.

Hows your car going Echo? any luck finding a de-cat pipe for yours? Im still searching for one that costs less than 700 euro!

If your getting a cone get it mapped for it. Panel is the safest option and think the lads like K & N or Green Cotten cause the otheres are full of oil

depends wt mods you are planning in the future i think the panel filters are only good up to about 350bhp after that i think you should concider a induction kit

[quote author=mark c link=topic=7809.msg93156#msg93156 date=1213693006]
i have a pipercross panel filter it wont harm the maf i dont bother oiling it too expensive to damage the maf sensor
[/quote]

You need to have it oiled, otherwise it's not a filter anymore. If you want to have it oiled give me a shout, and I can do it for you, 2 minutes work

John

I would also stick to the panel filter. An Induction kit would be a waste of money and may even lose you performance. The standard air box can cope very well.

Damo

@ johnny99 i have the stuff for oiling it thanks anyway, i thought it would still trap dirt and dust even without oiling :?

[quote author=kanye from the west link=topic=7809.msg93131#msg93131 date=1213661471]
If your getting a cone get it mapped for it. Panel is the safest option and think the lads like K & N or Green Cotten cause the otheres are full of oil
[/quote][quote author=johnny99 link=topic=7809.msg93143#msg93143 date=1213684422]
Cotton Green, K&N and the STi filter contain oil also,

John
[/quote]

I know that. Just saying the others have more oil :thumbsup:

No they dont. The cotton filter's come pre-oiled, and foam filters don't. Most people that apply oil to a filter, put on too much, only a little is required.

John

put a perrin short ram on my car 2 weeks ago and got a remap and now its runnin great!!!!!
came in a sealed bag pre-oiled....
most of the dealers would say use the panel filter so thats probably the beat info and advice you can have... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=7809.msg93129#msg93129 date=1213661019]
from what ive heard, panel filter seems to be the best setup.(have K+N panel in mine) something to do with the pipe work on the induction kits causing weird resonating issues and giving erratic readings to the MAF sensor? I'd say stick in your STI filter.

Hows your car going Echo? any luck finding a de-cat pipe for yours? Im still searching for one that costs less than 700 euro!
[/quote]

grand dan getting the bov fitted in the morning iv found a prodrive flexi down pipe and cobb de cat but im keeping on the look out

surely you can fit the BOV yourself? Which one did you go for? Can walk you through the fitment if you like. never heard about them 2 pipes. remember when searching that the american legacy GT has a single scroll turbo unlike our twinscroll one which means the fitment onto the turbo is probably. Send me on any info to ones you have that you found to fit. Cheers

I have heard a good suggestion. Stick with your panel filter but remove the induction part in the wing. That way the air that is being thrown up by the bumper and generally the air in the wing ( Which is a hell of alot cooler than the air in the engine bay) is being sucked in rather than the hot air in the engine bay.
This way your getting the protection of a panel filter for your MAF but all the advantages of a cold air induction kit.

Hint!!! Just look where Dan the man has his in the forester!

Cheers

Paddy

Back