non subaru spark plug question

northdublin

Petrolheads
had a look at the plugs in my mates dc-5. the code on the plug is IFR7G 11KS which is an iridium plug, the car was supposed to have been serviced prior to him pickin it up but i dont think they changed the plugs so i whipped one out and had a butchers. so im looking for an expert opinion on the plugs, they look to me to have been in the car for some time and i dont think they were changed at the last service.
so if ye could have a look at the pics i took before i put it back in ied appreciate your opinions. thanks

019.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

well looking at that chart ied say the plugs are in quite good nick, they dont really have any symtoms of the plugs on the chart. could anyone tell me roughly how long those plugs should last and should he replace them anyway

[quote author=northdublin link=topic=7807.msg93023#msg93023 date=1213649247]
the car was supposed to have been serviced prior to him pickin it up
[/quote]

every jap garage I visited said that but all they do is wash the car.

every jap garage I visited said that but all they do is wash the car.
[/quote]
yeah i reckon yer right......it was the same with my own car. finglas auto parts do ngk plugs so might get them tomorrow at lunch time and throw them into the car for him in the evening

Looking at the electrode, that plug has done either done in excess of 15K miles of very hard driving, or in excess of 25K miles of normal miles.. The car is also running octane booster.

John

fair play john, i take it the rusty colour is from the octane booster, is this a sign of too much or is it normal, thanks

normally the burnt ceramic is a good sign of requiring a plug change....
they are longlife plugs....whats the cars mileage???
when them garages say a service was done... i reckon thats an oil and filter change
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The octane booster leaves the colour on the ceramic around the central electrode, its a result of the chemical's in the booster, different makes of booster leave a different colour. The rusty finish is caused by the breakdown of the magnetic field as the plug is fired. It's more related to time, than wear and tear.

John

Back