Brake pad replacement procedure??

GregWRX

Sunday Drivers
Lads,
Got me brake pad kits off thieving subaru and was going to tackle them this evening but someone said to be that i needed a specific tool to push the pistons back in!!!

Is this true or can i just push them back up with a spanner or cro-bar?

Don't want to take them off and be goosed with the car stranded outside the front door.

as above. On my previous car I used a G-clamp, which was very handy for the job. two big flat blade screwdrivers in a wedge shape will do the job nicely also

also heard of long-nose pliers being used..Its a lot handier to have a wind-back tool though! Think I have one omewhere if youre stuck :subaru:

Hi Greg,

you push the pots back slowly with a big screwdriver or similar, you'll need something to hold the second pot if it's the front pads your doing.
I think yourmeant to Loosen the cover of the brake fluid resevoir while you at it, cos there is fluid coming back in there.
If you,ve copper grease, put some on the squeal plates when you putting the pads in, ( the thin plates at the back of the pads.)

any hassles give me a shout

Mack

cheers for that lads, will let ye know how i get on....fingers crossed.....havn't replaced pads myself on a car since 1999 and i'm not gonna say what car that was :oops: lets just say it wasn't too much of a worry if i made a boll!x of it back then :wazzup:

[quote author=GregWRX link=topic=7794.msg93155#msg93155 date=1213692573]
cheers for that lads, will let ye know how i get on....fingers crossed.....havn't replaced pads myself on a car since 1999 and i'm not gonna say what car that was :oops: lets just say it wasn't too much of a worry if i made a boll!x of it back then :wazzup:
[/quote]

couldnt be easier on a subaru don't worry about it

should've asked if it was the front pads sorry mate - no tool needed for those! used to get a big pliers and then use the old pad to push both pots of the caliper back! Just be sure to take the cap off the b.fluid reservoir before you move any caliper pistons :thumbsup:

As per Dagnuts reply - couldn't be easier.

Tackled the rear pads last night and i was shocked when i finshed and realised it was a piece of p!ss!

Thanks for the advise - next is the front pads and then who knows...i may even strip the gearbox!!!!! :ponder:

Back