gearbox

J

JohnyB

got the geabox re-conned a year ago (MY98) and its getting sticky / grinding again, 1st 2nd and 3rd gears, just thinking about getting a 6 speed, will it fit straight away ?, any suggestions on who to talk / go to .... :thumbsup:

what you driving.
youl need a clutch, rear diff and driveshafts to go with it anyway.

have you changed the oil in in to see if it make any differance.

I was chatting to Davelegacy (STI Tuning) a couple of weeks ago about putting a 6 speed into a classic type r
He made it sound simple enough, I can't remember the details, But the drive shaft out of an auto scooby was mentioned at some stage!
Give him a shout!
I don't actually know if anyone else has done it! :dunno:
Dan

thanks lads, its just something that has been bouncing around in my head :thumbsup:

Hello Johnny,

A six speed box is good replacement in a JDM with a low 5th gear ratio :thumbsup:

The revs when cruising will be significantly lower (my type-r 5-speed does about 4.5K revs @ 120kms, where the S204 6-speed does about 3.5k revs @ 120kms) :thumbsup:

The six speed box is also rated higher to handle large power outputs & is strongly recommended for power outputs over 400Bhp (along with PPG gear sets) :thumbsup:

You will have to check the drive shaft sizes to see if they are the same. I know on a type-r its more or less a direct fit, but an un-sure about other Imprezas :doh:

If your car is a JDM with a short 5th, you could also consider fitting a long 5th ratio to make it drive like a UK spec car of similar year :thumbsup:

I hope this helps :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael
PS Why is your gearbox grinding in low gears, after been overhauled :ponder:

thanks for the advice mick +1 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
as for the recon dont ask :shoot:

Back