Brake conversion

N

Norris!

howayehs lads,

i could get my hands on a set of brakes of a 2ltr turbo impreza for my car, but for the back do i need the whole axle or can the disc's and calipers go streight onto my hubs or are the drums part of them???

thanks! Norris :thumbsup:

As far as I know there's a lot more faffing around than just whacking them straight on. Drum brake mechanisms and the handbrake are quite different to discs and calipers... It's quite a costly conversion from what I can remember, I knew someone with a 1.6 Scoob who had it done at Predator Motorsport... it weren't cheap :whistle:

hehe fitting costs arnt a problem, my owl' boy is pretty much a mechanic :)

There was a lad in the club a few years ago who had a 1.6 classic modified to look like a turbo , even the interior . He wanted to convert the rear to discs but it was going to work out mega expensive as I think you have to fit virtually all of the turbo rear suspension & hubs . Then you might run into problems with your rear driveshafts being the wrong size for the turbo hubs .

The lad who had the turbo lookalike ended up getting it stolen . :angry: Then the thieves abandoned it a few miles up the road when they realised it wasn't a real turbo . :D They could've saved themselves the trouble by looking at the rear brakes before they took the car . :D

hehehe idiots, yeh i was pretty possitive on the fact that i needed most of the rear end but just wanted to check, il keep researching. thanks lads

I done a conversion about 2 years ago on a 00 reg. You need the rear hubs complete and the handbrake cables from a model with rear disc's on a front wheel drive car. Takes a few hours.

john

Then get the same as above from a 4WD, inc brake hose's. Just ensure that the hubs you get have the same number of splines as the hubs that are coming off.

John

id say thers more in it, but thats what you need to have, brake balance is my only concern

Back