Oil change

H

hiwd

Hey lads,

Need to change my oil, ordered a new filter and sump washer from flat4online today. Was just wondering does anybody have a how to for this? Can't be that hard can it.......... Never changed oil in a car before, but my dad did, so gonna get him to give me a hand. Just wondering if anything special has to be done with a boxer...

Thanks in advance

:subaru:

Regards,
Stephen

Just make sure you fill the new filter with oil before refitting.
Rub a bit of oil on the filter rubber o-ring.
Dry crank the engine also just to get some oil around the moving parts as they could be dry after draining.

(Dry cranking - blip the key in the ignition with out starting the car. 3 individual blips of the key should be enough to get the oil moved around a bit.)

Apart from the dry crank thing, it's the same as any other oil change.

make sure you fill the oil filter full of oil b4 you put it on so it doesnt run dry wen u start it and only fill the oil up to the dot between the the 2 nicks on the the dipstick :subaru:

can you not disconnect the crankshaft sensor or something like that also to crank the engine around??? :dunno:

[quote author=johnjoe link=topic=7685.msg91429#msg91429 date=1213111779]
See attached files below... :)
[/quote]

Much appreciated mate :thumbsup:

make sure the engine is not tilted too much on the jack so that you get most of the oil out of the sump...dont go disconnecting any sensors coz youll only introduce faults into the ecu....
dispose of the oil correctly.....not down the shore or in the ditch :lol: :lol: :lol:
should only take half hour
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

doin this myself in a while.....just lettin the engine cool down a bit. i didnt leave it cool enough yesterday while i was doin the plugs and ive no hair on my hands or finger prints left. is there a better side to jack up to gain access to the oil filter?

hi lads
according to martin tracey (precision engineering) after you change oil and filter, disconnect the crank position sensor, (at the v front between pulleys) and turn over untill oil light goes out, it will go out quicker on some models than others, make sure not to over heat starter! when light is out engine is primed with oil, you will be supprised how long it takes i.e running with out oil,
plug back in sensor and your good to go.
ive done this with all three of mine, classic and bug eye and no trouble with fault lights
hope this helps :thumbsup:

When i got my car mapped by Pat Herbourne(appologies for any spelling mistakes), He told me to warm the engine slightly before dropping the oil but not fully or you'll burn yourself. I usually let the temp needle get 1/3 of the way between cold and normal.
In the meantime warm your new oil up. This sounds silly but Motul oil is in metal tins so i put the tins in the oven on 50 degrees centigrade.
This makes the new oil nice and runny. Then basically just drop the old oil, remove the filter. Fill new filter completly which can take a few minutes while air bubbles rise allowing more oil to be poured into filter.
Then fit the filter, and fill engine with new warm oil. Then start the engine when finished and let idle until upto temp.
Then when first driving after oil change, take it easy not murdering the engine with high revs untill several miles covered.
This all may sound overkill but it works. :thumbsup:

jeez Matt hahaha I bet you only use Volvic for your windscreen wash too! hahahaha

How it's done or how I do it!

Keep the car on a flat surface!

I always do it with a warm engine!

Turn off engine! ( Just to be sure theres no mistake I'll stick that in!)

Take off Engine Gaurd from under car! ( You can work around it but it's much easier to Take it off!)

Place a large catch tank under the car!

remove Oil cap in the engine bay to allow the oil to flow freely!

Remove Sump Screw!

Allow Oil to Flow fully from the engine!

As the Oil emptys get the New Oil Filter and fill it with some of the new Oil! Give the Rubber Ring in the centre of the filter a rub with Oil! (Place it to one side! )

Remove the Old Oil Filter and watch for the Over flow of oil!

Allow to drain Fully!

Place the New Filter on and Give it a couple of back Spins to find the Tread and then Screw it home hand tight!

Place on the New Sump Washer making sure it's flat side is to the Screw itself!

Refit the Sump screw and washer!

Fill with at least 4ltr of oil and then start to dip until you get the right Leave!

Refit the Oil cap Once you have the correct leave of oil!

Disconnect the crank position sensor, (at the v front between pulleys) and turn over untill oil light goes out, it will go out quicker on some models than others, make sure not to over heat starter! when light is out engine is primed with oil, you will be supprised how long it takes i.e running with out oil,
plug back in sensor and your good to go.

Re fit the engine Gaurd!

Happy for another 4-5000 miles! :thumbsup: :subaru:

......put the oil in the oven!!!!! are you mad!!! the wife would kill me if they exploded or leaked all ove the roast chicken :dance:

:oops: yeah thought id get ripped for those comments alright. I use tap water. Only because i took the p*ss out my mate for using volvic before so i could hardly do it myself.
And yes the girlfriend wasn't too happy finding 3 tins of Motul in the oven :p

Back