help!!

blackB4

Sunday Drivers
Bought first subaru 5 months ago its a B4,everything was sweet till saturday when it overheated.when i opened the bonnet there was coolant everywhere but lid was still on bottle
I cant find any leaks and there is no water in hoses you can squash them flat.I thought it was water pump gone but was told today its the head gasket gone,other people are telling me its not that its probably just the thermostat either way noone seems to want to take a look at it for me anyone any advice or ideas????? all will be appreciated

Have you checked your oil?
Is there like a mayonaise/white stuff in the oil,if thats there it could be head gaskets,
Also check top rad hose those are also common hose to go on imprezas,could be worth checking too.... :thumbsup:

cheers ,have a mechanic willing to look at it now he says it sounds like impellor broke off in water pump.there was no oil burning off through exhaust or anything when i seen temp needle just below red i turned off a/c and drove at snails pace.I was only about 800m from my house and the needle had started to drop back down by time i got home

Maybe Im wrong, but if the water pump wasnt pumping, there would be no pressure to push the coolant out the overflow :ponder:
Unless the pump itslf has bust and is leaking, Id be checking the rad hoses, I hear theyr a bugger for splittin!

Could be a pin hole in the Top rad hose! Common enough problem!

if the impeller came off the water pump...there would be minimal circulation....
get a pressur test done and if no leaks found..go for pump or thermostat..
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

With regard to the comments about lack of pressure from the water pump, would it be possible that as the temp rose following the failure that pressure increased in tandem, leading to expansion of the coolant and an apparent 'pressure' even though the pump was out of service? Just a thought

the water pump primarily is for circulation....
if little cooling is occuring then obviously the system pressure and temp will increase
temperature increase results in pressure increase
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back