Help 'damn radio'

AlanMcB4

Sunday Drivers
Looking for some help folks.

I have the Macintosh radio in my legacy. Having a lot of problems picking up stations here, tried everything and decided to buy a European radio instead.

Bought an adaptor for the radio, plugged it in and it didn’t work. Said f**k it and plugged the Macintosh back in. Turned it on and the sound is really low. I mean when I have the radio on full blast I can bearly hear it. It doesn’t seem to be fuzzy or crackly so I’m hoping that I haven’t blown all 5 speakers.

Now I’m at a loss, brought it to a car sterio shop, the guy told me that the Macintosh has an amp and that could be my problem. Said he doubted that all the speakers were blown and that I might need to have the whole system rewired to solve the problem.

I can’t have done that much damage to it can I?

Does anyone have the Macintosh system and had similar problems?
Does anyone know what could be wrong?
Don't get me wrong I love the sound of that boxer rumble (cheers Mark B4-RSK!) but I am missing my music!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

Have you rechecked all wiring at back are connected. Could there be an external amp that you havent reconnected???????

Havent the same stero but got a band expander(think it was about a tenner) and picks up stations better.

Sure someone will be on later with more help

:smokin:

best option would go to an auto electrition, just in case something would short.
i hate going near that kinda thing myself.

Cheers Carlo,

All wiring checked and rechecked!! I recon that there is an external amp and I recon it is fooked!

Was just out at it there and wired directly from the radio to a speaker and it worked fine.

Looks like I need to bypass the amp, in other words re-wire all speakers!

Which would be easier
1) rewire all speakers
2) find the amp and bypass it somehow.

Does anyone know where the amp is located on these? :ponder:

I need a few :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: !!

Alan

maybe there is a fuse blown in the amp, or on another fuse panel in the car. sounds like there is no power driving the speakers and your only getting very high frequency sounds that you can barely hear?

Glad your loving the exhaust mate :thumbsup: I have a spare amp from the old leggy if ya don't wanna go down the road of stripping wires and the like :thumbsup: giv me a bell if your interested :subaru:

if its a factory amp in your car the origonal radio swiches amp on, through the elec aerial/aux feed.

@B4-RSK - i might take you up on that mate. Gonna pull the amp out and see if there's a fuse or if its shot. Will let you know as soon as! :thumbsup:

@RS-RA - the amp is a macintosh, part of the original system i'm guessing. You say the original radio switches it on - i noticed the aux feed all right. Do you know if this amp will work with a different system? :ponder:

Back