De-cat Exhaust BHP/Torque

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
I have been looking at getting a full de-cat from turbo back before a re-map. But i read somewhere recently that a sports cat on the downpipe might increase the torque and not give you as much BHP. The lad that said it was talking about an impreza so i dont know whether the same would apply to the B4. The secondary turbo doesnt have a cat on the downpipe anyway but the primary one does and i was wondering if i changed that to a sports cat would i get a much bigger increase in torque?

was asking Davelegacy about mine and he said cat-less gives you more torque, not sure if that apples to your twin turbo setup

No cats mean freer flowing gases, which spool the turbo quicker and more more torque and bhp, I can't think of any exeption to that rule!
De-cat is much cheaper than sports cat! and just swap it back out for the nct! :thumbsup:
Dan

It was only i read on a forum that the backpressure allows for more torque, but i suppose if you think about it, that is probably created by engine trying to turn the wheels

a de-cat is going to be free-er flowing then any sports cat.. Obviously a sports cat is handier at mot/nct time.

if u change to a decat and then remap the car and then change back to cat for nct....will the car need a tweak remap or should it(cat) operate as it should :dunno: :dunno:

As above!
Just throw the cat back in for the nct, Nothing else needed!oh and drive the stones out of her to the test centre to get the cat nice and hot(most efficeint)
Dan

if you got your car remapped to suit the new mods and then swapping back the standard parts for NCT, would "driving the stones" off the car not be bad for it?

I dont think so :dunno: :dunno: turbo wont overboost because of exrta restriction so no melting pistons :dance:
The hotter the cat is the better it works!
Dan

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=7574.msg90319#msg90319 date=1212668203]
if you got your car remapped to suit the new mods and then swapping back the standard parts for NCT, would "driving the stones" off the car not be bad for it?
[/quote]

Once you dont make it more free flow after the map its fine.

No problems fitting cat back on after map :thumbsup:

Back