V Limited

KudzSTi

Petrolheads
Hi Guys,

on the v limited over the past few days i have noticed when cold its spluttery on cold revs but when hot runs like a dream.
as in spluttery i wil try be as accurate as possible:
when start car cold it idles at approx 1500rpm, after a few seconds or after its revved it seems to go down to approx 1000rpm and this is when it starts.
when i push the throttle the car feels like its gonna cut out (1000 - 3000rpm) but then fires to life (3000rpm +) :wall: :wall: :wall:
im thinking it might be the automatic choke :dunno: , i dont think its the air flow meter as its less than a year old so i was told..

anyone any ideas r has this happened to anyone???

Thanks
John

A similar thing happens to me, you start up and it revs up to 1500rpm, then if you tap the throttle it drops down to real low revs and sometimes cuts out. Once hot, the car runs fine.

Mine started the way your seems to be at the moment and just got worse and worse.

Nobody I've brought it to seems to be able to diagnose the problem either, mines an engine out job :cry:

I had the compression checked and the cylinders are low, no oil out the back though which would seem to eliminate it being an piston problem. Seems to be a head issue, valves not sealing correctly or something :dunno:

Hope yours isn't going the same way :pray:

thanks for the reply, im not sure if this could be the issue as she isnt gone to a point of cutting out she only drops to bout 1000rpm then as she gets hotter it goes to normail idle approx 750/800rpm. there is no smoke (blue,black or white) coming out of it and im not sure if this is anythin to go by but the turbo is boosting fully and properly. there is some sort of metal airbox on it with the panel filter attached to the front of it.. the filter is dirty so maybe this might be an issue also??.. im maybe thinking its the auto choke but cant be sure :computer:

[quote author=Cill link=topic=7466.msg88408#msg88408 date=1211967258]
A similar thing happens to me, you start up and it revs up to 1500rpm, then if you tap the throttle it drops down to real low revs and sometimes cuts out. Once hot, the car runs fine.

Mine started the way your seems to be at the moment and just got worse and worse.

Nobody I've brought it to seems to be able to diagnose the problem either, mines an engine out job :cry:

I had the compression checked and the cylinders are low, no oil out the back though which would seem to eliminate it being an piston problem. Seems to be a head issue, valves not sealing correctly or something :dunno:

[/quote]
Have you tried something as simple as cleaning the carbon out of the throttle body? it could be starving the car of idle air??

[quote author=scooby_wan_kenobi link=topic=7466.msg88437#msg88437 date=1211974646]
[quote author=Cill link=topic=7466.msg88408#msg88408 date=1211967258]

[/quote]
Have you tried something as simple as cleaning the carbon out of the throttle body? it could be starving the car of idle air??
[/quote]

Haven't tried that, cheers for the suggestion :thumbsup:

I have low compression though which is cause of the low idle and misfires. Its just a fooking nightmare, the layout of the boxer engine menas you can;t even whip off the heads and see whats happening, have to take the fooking engine out :angry:

I'm trying to sort something special out at the moment though, hopefully be sorted soon :pray:

Anyway, don;t want to ruin your thread John, have you tried any diagnostics yourself? Compression check? Maybe check the throttle body as Scooby Wan suggested?

iv ran pro tec fuel line cleaner through it and still the same, i havent gone as far as a compression test yet but will if necessary i have a tester at home just a pain in the a s s strippin half the car to get at the pistons :angry: :angry: :angry:

I hear ya, complete pain with these boxer engines, but worth it for the sound :subaru:

There is a elbow you can get for the compression tester and it gets in to the head nicely, would be worth getting one, then all you have to do is losen the air box and power steering ( I think, doing this from work :D ) and pull out the coil packs and sparks, not too much hassel, just be prepared to scrape the fook out of your knuckles :angry:

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

fitted the coolant temp sensor today and still the same... dont no whats next now :wall: :wall: :wall:

anyone any ideas guys

Did you try disconnecting the AFM and see is it making a difference? disconnecting the part is one way to diagnose an air flow meter fault.

hi thanks for the reply, i have checked the maf there now nd thats working fine... iv also got a new fuel filter which i have fitted and noticed a difference in the running of the car(when hot), iv also checked for vacuum leaks and there are none whatsoever... im gonna wait for her to col down now and see if there any difference when cold....(hopefully) :pray: :pray: :pray:

have tried her again and still the same :angry: :angry: ... iv just noticed there is no oxygen sensor on the exhaust its hanging beside it ... i took the bung outta the exhaust where it goes and it wont fit :computer: ... the sensor is smaller than the hole for it ... although it was running fine up to a few weeks ago so im not sure :dunno: ... maybe the air/fuel conditioner in it was doing that although when i smell the exhaust gas it smells really rich...

im just so confused at the mo :cry:

id say it mite be that air/fuel conditioner system in it but dont want to take it out til i get the oxygen sensor into the exhaust... the only strange thing is it ran perfect since i bought it and the oxygen sensor was never in it :dunno: so dont no y this is only affectin it now or is it even this thats the cause...

Is the sensor thats off before or after the cat? By logic that should be whats causin your problem - see if the sensor is jus dangling that means its sampling fresh air, which would lead the injection ecu to think "fook im running lean as fook - better richen her up" which is why your co would be through the roof!

there is no cat there a straight through 3in from the manifold... its the sensor thats on the downpipe closest to the turbo... it was just dangling beside the exhaust looks like it was never connected to the 3in at all as the hole for it is too big when u take out the bung...

Back