04 bottom end f**ked

cecildrumstick

Sunday Drivers
Gutted. Driving home from cork to dublin on sunday and the bottom end went. Sounds like a bag of hammers under da hood. Its a 04 irish wrx with 37700 miles on da clock and a full subaru service history with no engine mods. All i can say is what the fook is that all about???????? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Could be a lot of things, the joys of :subaru:
Now you can go bigger and better.
Ps sorry to hear this.

Cheers lads. Can anyone recommend someone to fix this and roughly how much its gona cost? Still cant believe it, :hang: :hang: :hang:

Sorry to hear that. Thats scary news on an irish car with lowish miles on it.
You haven't just had an oil change by any chance have you?
Hope you get sorted without stressing the wallet too much

Cylinder 3 big end bearing. You will need to get it stripped and inspected to know the true damage. I have seen some with a slight knock and the con-rod damaged, and other's with a really bad knock, and it will need only bearings. Make sure the oil cooler is also replaced and the oil pump. No use in rebuilding the bottom end and swarf lodged in the cooler, only for the same damage to happen again. Uprated oil pump is a must also.

John

Have the car a year. Subaru were onto me today and are goin to inspect it which is great. No engine mods and full subaru service history from new. Heres hoping they look after me :pray: :pray: :pray:

[quote author=cecildrumstick link=topic=7456.msg88474#msg88474 date=1211986691]
Have the car a year. Subaru were onto me today and are goin to inspect it which is great. No engine moods and full subaru service history from new. Heres hoping they look after me :pray: :pray: :pray:
[/quote]

The real question here is that you've owned a subaru for a year & you haven't modified it - Whats wrong with ya :lol: :D :lol:

No seriously mate that sounds positive, wishing you the best of luck.

[quote author=cecildrumstick link=topic=7456.msg88474#msg88474 date=1211986691]
Have the car a year. Subaru were onto me today and are goin to inspect it which is great. No engine moods and full subaru service history from new. Heres hoping they look after me :pray: :pray: :pray:
[/quote]

Really hope you get sorted :thumbsup:

[quote author=cecildrumstick link=topic=7456.msg88181#msg88181 date=1211916249]
Gutted. Driving home from cork to dublin on sunday and the bottom end went. Sounds like a bag of hammers under the hood. Its a 04 irish wrx with 37700 miles on the clock and a full subaru service history with no engine mods. All i can say is what the fook is that all about???????? :angry: :angry: :angry:
[/quote]

Check out the trader section. Maybe give Ali Burriows a ring, he priced for a couple friends of mine recently. Brand new STI bottom end for around £1200 which is about €1500 and his labour rates are VERY reasonable and hard to match, the fact that he is a proper engine builder with a proper garage is good and he wont just tell you to fook off if you have an issue.

I think to strip a bottom end and rebuild it was only around 300 quid labour. You would have to check with him though. I remember being very impressed anyway.

Maybe give Jomo and CDA a call to.

Damo

Hopefully getting car back this wk. Subaru ireland donated block and gasket set. Unfortunately i hav to get the work done by subaru. Gona cost around 3 grand. Gutted. Missus due 2nd kid this wk aswell. Went up 2 subaru today to hav a look at damage. 3rd big end bearing fooked. Shells were wrecked and con rod damaged. Also when they stripped da engine a few pulleys need replacing and something else had a crack in it too. What wrecked my head 2day and which is still pissin me off is that they said 2day it was low on oil. This was never mentioned before. Mechanic said he put a 1.5l in to top it up. I cant understand this as i check da oil prob every 2wks and checked it b4 driving to cork. Did da damage on the way back. Checked oil again when i got back to see had it sprung a leak and appeared full. Was always careful not to overfill aswell for obvious reasons. Cant understand this at all!!!!!!!!!

[quote author=cecildrumstick link=topic=7456.msg93372#msg93372 date=1213735385]
Hopefully getting car back this wk. Subaru ireland donated block and gasket set. Unfortunately i have to get the work done by subaru. Gona cost around 3 grand. Gutted. Missus due 2nd kid this wk aswell. Went up 2 subaru today to have a look at damage. 3rd big end bearing fooked. Shells were wrecked and con rod damaged. Also when they stripped the engine a few pulleys need replacing and something else had a crack in it too. What wrecked my head today and which is still pissin me off is that they said today it was low on oil. This was never mentioned before. Mechanic said he put a 1.5l in to top it up. I cant understand this as i check the oil prob every 2wks and checked it b4 driving to cork. Did the damage on the way back. Checked oil again when i got back to see had it sprung a leak and appeared full. Was always careful not to overfill aswell for obvious reasons. Cant understand this at all!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

fookers seem to be putting the blame in your court by sayin it was low on oil...
seen as you said you checked it regular...where does a litre and a half go?????
the more the blame is yours the less warranty will cover IMO
they'll supply a gasket set but yet you pay for the bearings :ponder: :ponder:

good luck with it lad.....i'd be harrassing someone in subaru ireland everyday til eventually it was all covered...been down that road b4 with a peugeot
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Why do you have to get the work done by Subaru? Its your car at the end of the day.

Sorry to hear this. You must be shocked.

Theres no warranty on it. Bought it private. Subaru are donating out of goodwill cause of low mileage and full subaru service history. Hav to get work done in subaru garage because subaru ireland are donating block

Think you got a good deal myself considering you bought it privately and the fact the car is four years old and out of warranty, the labour is expensive but you could have had the added expense of paying nearly €1600/€1800 for the block if Subaru had not donated it.....best of luck with it when you get it back.

[quote author=555-Scooby link=topic=7456.msg93409#msg93409 date=1213738426]
Think you got a good deal myself considering you bought it privately and the fact the car is four years old and out of warranty, the labour is expensive but you could have had the added expense of paying nearly €1600/€1800 for the block if Subaru had not donated it.....best of luck with it when you get it back.

True

Back