'Detailing' Subaru wheels

doggy

I'm beginning to get into the hobby of 'detailing' a car rather than just cleaning it. Here's a job I did on my alloys. Enjoy....

I started off by removing the alloy to blocks of wood for protection. Here are the befores:

D80-0018.jpg

D80-0020.jpg

Using an old microfibre mitt, I cleaned off the excess dirt with AG Shampoo. Didn't think there was much point doing a whole lot to the faces of the alloys so i set about degreasing the back. Used AG Clean Wheels diluted 4:1 (haven't invested in Bilberry yet and was afraid of acidic nature of product). Spent hours with an assortment of scrubbing brushes, wheel brushes, scouring pads, toothbrushes and fingernails trying to shift the grime from the inner wheel. The result is much improved but by no means perfect, as you can see from the after picture:

D80-0031.jpg

Having very little to show for my morning's work i set about making the easy side look good with this gear.

D80-0021.jpg

Please note carnage in background from the morning's efforts...

First off was some AG Intensive Tar Remover, left to soak on tar spots and removed with AG Shampoo/MF mitt/rinsed with water.

Then using the Megs Quik Clay (I'm saving my Sonus Green for the bodywok), clayed the wheel, which left it looking like this..

D80-0022.jpg

After that, with the alloys nice and smooth, it was time for the polish - AG SRP to be exact. Applied with a Megs foam applicator. Buffed off with a MF work towel. This was followed by CG Acrylic Creme Glaze II applied and removed with the same method. Protected by two coats of PB Wheel Sealant, again with Megs foam pad and buffed off by MF towel. This is the result:

D80-0027.jpg

Not too bad, I know there are some tiny tar spots on the front of the alloys but it was getting very monotonous having spent a whole day on one wheel!

Comments and advice welcome, thanks for looking.

Jepers they look branty spanking new, well done :clap:
I've four wheels that could do with some attention you could practice on them when will i drop them up :D

Thanks lads, the idea is that if you put in the groundwork on them and seal them properly the dirt should fall off in future so its a case of lots of effort at the start and a top up maintenance then to keep them looking well

Excellent work :clap: :clap:
Iv also been detailing the scooby over the last few months,trying different products and methods!its hard work,but the the super smooth finish is well worth it!i used that same wheel sealant on mine last weekend and was not impressed :ponder:

www.poorboysworld.com have some very good products!

The only prob im having now is finding a wax that does'nt attract milions of flies to stick to the fooking car!!

[quote author=daveR link=topic=7272.msg85882#msg85882 date=1210887850]
The only prob im having now is finding a wax that does'nt attract milions of flies to stick to the fooking car!!
[/quote]

I know, i use Poorboys Nattys Blue wax which smells like bubble gum and I'd say it's the smell that attracts the little hoors, the finish is worth it though

[quote author=chriSTi link=topic=7272.msg85960#msg85960 date=1210934286]
you've just inspired me to valet my car on my day off... good job. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[/quote]

sure get your new buddy pj down to help ya :D

the wheels looks the dogs nuts man fair play to ya

[quote author=BlackLegacy link=topic=7272.msg86013#msg86013 date=1210951030]
Looks brand new man, fair play :thumbsup: |Where did you get the sealant? Buy here or online?
[/quote]

www.detailer.ie will sort you out for all you needs :thumbsup:

[quote author=BlackLegacy link=topic=7272.msg86013#msg86013 date=1210951030]
Looks brand new man, fair play :thumbsup: |Where did you get the sealant? Buy here or online?
[/quote]

I got mine offf cleanyourcar.co.uk, but as was mentioned, detailer.ie are the local distributor

Back