car cutting out

J

jafro

ok lads i need some more help jesus, spoiler has been ordered from japperformence ( thanks to p1 alan) so thats that sorted, now i have a new problem.
the car keeps cutting out. it splutters a bit then cuts out sounds like its choking. and engine bay seems overly hot. any ideas gents??
thanks in advance
the jaf man

Have you checked the oil,is there any mayo like stuff on it,maybe head gasket has gone :dunno:
Is your fan working,turbo cars dont like warm weather,was she maybe overheating... :dunno:
Have you checked plugs/leads...etc..etc..

had it serviced last week so hoping all is well i'll check the oil now :thumbsup:

Just check all the usual bits first,maybe something has come off somewhere,its very hard to diagnose over a forum... :thumbsup:

Could be a few things but I would start with checking all connections, plugs, leads....

Or it could be the MAF..... is it starting and then cutting out/irratic idle?

Alan.

Can the car rev,or does it feel like its a struggle.....??
If she is hunting on idle it could well be the maf...
Try run a diagnostic,if ya know how....

Sounds like the MAF - what year is your car Ger??

You haven't fitted an induction kit or different air filter recently??

Alan.

ok its a 97 car maf is 395 plus vat hoping to get car mapped soon i fitted an itg filter at service time how do u run a diagnostic

crazy money, try mckeevers or euro auto salvge.
i got a 2nd hand one and it was fine and its in legacy now, working away

If you look under the dash,there will be 2 green plugs,and 2 black plugs,you have to connect green on green,black on black...then turn the ingnition on dont start her,your check engine light will come on,if you count the flashes,a long flash=10 and a short flash=1,so if you count 2 long flashes and 3 short ones=23 which would indicate your MAF is gone....
Hope that helps.... :thumbsup:

ok connected them but got all lights on and no flashing i have remote start could this effect diagnostic

Yeah turn it all the way till just before its to start.... :thumbsup:
If the check engine light is not flashing then it could mean your Maf is not gone.... :dunno:

First of all - I reckon it's the ITG filter that caused this..... if I remember right ITG are foam filters which require oil which in turn feck up your MAF!

So before you fork out for a new MAF - change the filter to a standard subaru one :thumbsup:

Secondly - is yours the old style MAF? The old style were much less prone to failure than the MY99/00 style......

I wouldn't go buying a new MAF (especially at that price) until your sure it's that......

Alan.

Foam type air filters don't cause MAF sensors to go. Many cotton filters also carry oil, such as STi and K&N. It's over oiling, or no oil, that can cause the MAF to give trouble. Otherwise, do get a propper diagnostic before replaceing the MAF. I think I have one in the workshop, and will look for it tomorrow,

John

well lads got the diagnostic to work its two longs and 3 shorts so its a maf problem dont suppose anyone has one knocking about for a classic 97

Back