bottom end

Not that i know of but alot have it done
in the UK check scooby.net i remember seen some
post's on same a while back !!

Niall.

hi mate yes you get a complete brand new 2.5 block, pistons, rods and crank. unbelievable difference in power although can cause problems with gearboxes with the increased torque

I remember a place doing it with the standard pistons and rods but I think most its just for the block. And there from 1200-1400 sterling. Most of them offer a pack with uprated parts etc etc.They say the weakest part of the EJ257 is the liners, they are “relatively” quite thin from what I hear and alot of people get it built with Iron ( I think ) sleeves that can handle massive amounts but alot are running 450 400 no prob. And then a new gearbox or gearkit.

hi philip once your not planning on going over 500bhp then 2.5block with standard pistons rods crank and liners will make that power no problem with no reliability issues. (that is as long as you get andy forrest to map it!) anything over that and you would need the 2.33 block with uprated pistons and rods. ill call you later about the headers anyway and chat then.

George

I rang subaru and they can do it for €2000 with and new oil pump but it is a wrx 2.5 He said the sti one are blue printed and about €6000k.
Are the wrx the one or the sti ?

hi philip to be totally honest i didnt even know there was a difference. ive never heard of anybody paying €6000 for a 2.5 block. ill find out for you but i have supplied 2 2.5 blocks before and they were genuine subaru with no hassle. ill just check the price again as im not 100% sure of it.

That must be a mistake. The STI EJ257 is the one that goes for 1200 or so sterling.

i built my 2.5 back in 2004 and feel a 2L wil never do again,certainly not for reliability on our miserable irish fuel. you do need a little more outlay with the 2.5 for a safe running engine but its well worth it. with a mild map, 300 to 320, you will enjoy the increased driveability and wont be paying any more at the pumps thanks to the extra torque.
i plan building another 2.5 very soon. the latest 2.5Sti is rated as 20% stronger.

6K is crazy. Just built one for a customer, and it came in at about 1500 Sterling with a few bits and pieces for the bottom end complete. Would definitly reccomend it, wicked torque.

John

[quote author=GT performance link=topic=137.msg555#msg555 date=1154986717]
hi mate yes you get a complete brand new 2.5 block, pistons, rods and crank. unbelievable difference in power although can cause problems with gearboxes with the increased torque
[/quote]

Can you quantify "Unbelievable difference"

[quote author=GT performance link=topic=137.msg567#msg567 date=1155030256]
hi philip once your not planning on going over 500bhp then 2.5block with standard pistons rods crank and liners will make that power no problem with no reliability issues. (that is as long as you get andy forrest to map it!) anything over that and you would need the 2.33 block with uprated pistons and rods. ill call you later about the headers anyway and chat then.

George
[/quote]

A standard EJ257 block producing a reliable 500bhp on standard internals....I don't think so.

Apart from just replacing a EJ20 with a EJ257 there is a LOT more needing changed to make any more power than would be possible on the original EJ20.

I had a 2.5 in mine although I did fit forged pistons as the originals are only semi-forged. Reliable 401bhp with 396lb ft torque with an APS sr55 turbo. I honestly think that 400 bhp is the max with standard rods. Fantastic upgrade for any roadgoing impreza although mine does see some track time so a 2.2 is in the making.. Just my 2p worth..

[quote author=Dirk link=topic=137.msg1551#msg1551 date=1156354505]

George
[/quote]

A standard EJ257 block producing a reliable 500bhp on standard internals....I don't think so.

Apart from just replacing a EJ20 with a EJ257 there is a LOT more needing changed to make any more power than would be possible on the original EJ20.
[/quote
[quote author=Dirk link=topic=137.msg1551#msg1551 date=1156354505]

George
[/quote]

[/quote]

obviously there is more things that need changing im just stating what is possible with the 2.5 block.

George[/quote]

[quote author=GT performance]hi philip once your not planning on going over 500bhp then 2.5block with standard pistons rods crank and liners will make that power no problem with no reliability issues.
George[/quote]

You are stating that a standard EJ257 block will reliabily produce 500bhp without any internal parts being changed.........that is just NOT going to happen ! no matter who maps it.

[quote author=GT performance] obviously there is more things that need changing im just stating what is possible with the 2.5 block.
George[/quote]

Obviously there is but you give the impression that you just "drop in a 2.5" and straight off have "unbelievable difference in power and torque that can cause problems with gearboxes"

What additional parts have you fitted to produce the 500bhp

att:dirk
:noway:listen mate im not going to get into an argument with you. i went a little overboard with the reliable bhp figure. the ej257 can reliably produce 450-460bhp with the right mods and can push the 500bhp mark on the standard internals but not totally reliable 500bhp. also i did not give the impression that you just drop the 2.5block in and wahaay mental torque and bhp. i was replying to philip who already knows what mods are needed. i was answering the question he asked. and also i know what needs to be done with the ej257 to produce that kind of power, but its not my job nor do i have the time to explain everything to you when by the tone of your replies you already have your mind made up on what the 2.5 can do
regards
George :subaru:

[quote author=GT performance link=topic=137.msg1654#msg1654 date=1156454330]
att:dirk
  :noway:listen mate im not going to get into an argument with you. i went a little overboard with the reliable bhp figure. the ej257 can reliably produce 450-460bhp with the right mods and can push the 500bhp mark on the standard internals but not totally reliable 500bhp. also i did not give the impression that you just drop the 2.5block in and wahaay mental torque and bhp. i was replying to philip who already knows what mods are needed. i was answering the question he asked. and also i know what needs to be done with the ej257 to produce that kind of power, but its not my job nor do i have the time to explain everything to you when by the tone of your replies you already have your mind made up on what the 2.5 can do
regards
George :subaru:
[/quote]

I am not trying to get into an argument :ponder:

How many 2.5 do you know of producing these figures on standard internals ? genuine question :)

I am very interested as it is my next planned path of upgrade.

I agree Dirk the standard internals wont go any where near a reliable 480 500 bhp. Id say 400 400 is the max with the standard pistons and rods and even that I wouldent run my own car anywhere near it without decent rods and pistons, but there are scoobs running 400bhp on std internals but I dont think its worth the chance. Alot of people also seem to think there cast rather then forged pistons in the EJ257  :dunno:

And for massive power there is no way it will do it with the Standard Sleeve Liners either. They are suppose to be quite thin and prob the weakest part of the engine.

The extra costs that come with doing a decent 2.5 really add up. The 6 speed box and then you may need to change your rear diff. Or a 3rd + 4th PPG Gear kit which again is big money. Plus id want 1st and 2nd too.

Decent pistons + rods                               
Modified oil pump                                                           
ARP head stud kit       
ACL main & big end bearing
Water pump     
Twin Plate clutch
Box

Plus a load more bits for the 2.5 id be wanting.

Damo

Andy Forrest told me that theonly difference between the new WRX 2.5 and the STI 2.5 is that the sti has valve timing on the outlet as well as the inlet. Also Subaru have reduced the size of the TMIC in the new 2.5 wrx even relative to that in the 2.0 Turbo WRX. He said this is to keep a gap in power between the WRX and STI as the WRX 2.5 is capable of similar power to the STi when mapped.

On this basis there would seem little point in paying for the 2.5 STI when the 2.5 WRX is so similar and apparently much cheeper.

With rehard to safe power outputs all I'll say is that Litchfield's MY 06 Type 25 which is the ultimate Imreza IMHO is quoted at around 450 bhp (by Powerstation themselves) and that engine has very substantial mods. I would guess then that 400 bhp on the standard internals with the usual mods of full exhaust system, panel filter, fuel pump and full tek 3 remap on Lucas Octane booster should see a reliable bhp of 400.

Performancesubaru in Coleraine have done quite a few of these 2.5 conversions and they also do the TEK remap so its a one stop shop.

Frawls

Back