disabling your car

justingc8

Petrolheads
gettin a alarm in my car in the next few days but is there any way of disabling it under the bonnet by taking out a certain fuser os anytin like that, that can be done quick and easily, its 00 sti impreza by the way

just talkin to a mechanic there he said mite do harm or end up leavin the engine management light on if i start pullin things out

Just before i go my alarm installed I locked the car, disconnected the battery pulled all the fuses out that could be used as the ignition fuse and disconnected the cam sensor. Pity i hadnt been doing it all along, then it mightn't have been taken. Oh and chains, even with my clifford now i have 2 heavy duty chains and paddlocks. you cant be too careful

I basic cut off switch is the best, like the Red one's they have on rally cars. i got mine off ebay for 10 yo yo's delivered.
Half hour job to fit and you can hide them any where along the main ignition line or on the battery cable. Aint nobody gonna
start your motor without the key. :thumbsup:

under the seat and back around and through the steering wheel. then i wrap the other chain all around the steering wheel and lock it into the other chain. Make sure they are heavy duty chains. 1 of mine you wouldnt go through with a manual bolt cutters and the other you need to lie it on the ground and put your full weight on a long bolt cutter and you would have to do that for both sides of the link. Seeing chains would just mean most thieves would leave it and move on to something easier, but if they really want it then they will cut through the steering wheel to remove the chain. I try to wrap mine around in a way that would be very hard to cut the wheel. All the same its a great deterrent along with a clifford alarm as it would just take them to long to do. Chains are also a visual deterent as well as useful. As Murto has just posted, cut offs are good as well but thieves wont know that there is a cut off until they have broken in and ripped your ignition apart to try and find it. My advice is to get as much as possible as whats an extra 10 or 15 minutes at at the end of the day

Took a test drive in an impreza with a ring welded or bolted (I forget which way ) to the floor under the seat and then lash the chain through, some job :thumbsup:

looking at a steering lock that clamps to the top of the wheel and then goes over the back of the dash

ha can just see it now, sum fella with the seats carpet and evrytin covered up and him weldin away to the floor, ha that be sum job

[quote author=justin_gc8 link=topic=7007.msg81883#msg81883 date=1209655517]
looking at a steering lock that clamps to the top of the wheel and then goes over the back of the dash
[/quote]

would say they'd easily put a hacksaw through that as its a solid structure. The reason most lads go for chains is because they are hard to hold steady if you are trying to cut them

just lookin at a chain ere on argos, 9.5mm tick chain says heavy duty chain mite do the job, 35 euro it is

As above. Not wise everyone giving their tips on how to disable your car. You never know who is on the forum.

Back