What would you get your car remapped to?

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
So i still cant decide what to get the car remapped to. Its going in for a remap next weekend so. Was thinking just E5 for pure convenience. Is this a good choice or should i go with E5 + booster or 95+booster or just plain E5. not looking for mad power gain, just safe running to start off with.

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=7000.msg81725#msg81725 date=1209591698]
So i still cant decide what to get the car remapped to. Its going in for a remap next weekend so. Was thinking just E5 for pure convenience. Is this a good choice or should i go with E5 + booster or 95+booster or just plain E5. not looking for mad power gain, just safe running to start off with.
[/quote]

It isent really convenient only being able to use Maxol stations plus the fact that it could be risky to map to an unconsistant un proven fuel. IMO id stick with 95 and booster. The company mapping it for you should have advised you on what fuel they recomend you use. So maybe go with what they are happy with.

Damo

I would say the same 95+booster,as you could be up the north,or somewhere where ther are no maxol stations around and then your fooked,as you have no booster with ya... :thumbsup:

[quote author=Scoobyke link=topic=7000.msg81733#msg81733 date=1209592923]
I would say the same 95+booster,as you could be up the north,or somewhere where ther are no maxol stations around and then your fooked,as you have no booster with ya... :thumbsup:

[/quote]

there are maxol stations up north plenty of them ;)

i mapped for e5. was mapped for 95+ booster. sure if everyone is saying "95+booster is better" if you get stuck without E5 just use 95 and booster? whats the differnece? i made better gains with e5 on its own over 95 and a FULL bottle of booster..loads of maxols around why have the extra expense and hassle of putting booster in every fill...E5 is not 99 ron but this talk of booster giving you 2 ron is nonsense I seen a proper lab test and the best booster tested NF race formulae(lucas not tested) raised the ron by 2.8 BUT that was a full bottle to 80 litres..claims of a full bottle raising a tank by 6 ron are just that ..claims.
Im no expert far from it just telling my experinces.

so has anyone doe test to prove that unleaded 95 is consistently 95? Have heard "stories" that it can be as low as "92" from some places so im guessing your taking the same risk with 95 Ron????

@dan

mine was mapped for 95 +booster and running very well just to compare like with like :thumbsup:

Exactly Dan.......

Question is, is E5 better then 95 without bringing any octane booster into it?????? ANSWER IS 110% YES.

This stuff about consistency is blown way outta proportion.

Personally I'd go for E5 either way, either with or without booster. I will be getting mapped soon enough and will be using E5 and probably booster with it. I was using 95 + half/full bottle of lucas when i bought the car. Then i changed to E5 with booster, reset the ECU and the difference was unbelieveable. I've had to revert back to 95 a couple of times and the car ran like muck until i put E5 in again. Sure wasnt there massive problems trying to map B4's before E5 came out?? I have heard that the couple of cars that did get mapped had problems on 95 + booster and to the best of my knowledge there has been no issues mapping B4's on E5 or E5 + booster

[quote author=BlackLegacy link=topic=7000.msg81759#msg81759 date=1209596448]
Personally I'd go for E5 either way, either with or without booster. I will be getting mapped soon enough and will be using E5 and probably booster with it. I was using 95 + half/full bottle of lucas when i bought the car. Then i changed to E5 with booster, reset the ECU and the difference was unbelieveable. I've had to revert back to 95 a couple of times and the car ran like muck until i put E5 in again. Sure wasnt there massive problems trying to map B4's before E5 came out?? I have heard that the couple of cars that did get mapped had problems on 95 + booster and to the best of my knowledge there has been no issues mapping B4's on E5 or E5 + booster
[/quote]

spot on rob ..lets not forgvet here b4's drink fuel like a alco on dole day...worse than an sti...another 7 euro a fill makes a huge difference its like payin another 13 pence a litre..so you pull into maxol buy e5 fill your car for 1.20 or pull in texaco or shell and pay 1.33 per litre for lower grade fuel whos consistencey cant be garunteed either????? makes no sense....most b4 owners run there cars as day to day cars and are mapping for safety not to the n'th degree for performance..you can map your car safely for e5 get better performance than 95 and save your self 7 euro a fill by not using booster...its a no brainer

Id say E5 plus booster, I dont find it any hastle to leave a bottle of booster in the boot, have also had no issues finding Maxols to fill up with around the country when on a long spin and lets face it if anyone was really concerned about the price of juice they would be driving a TDi :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm mapped for E5 + 1/3bottle NF ( which is 2Ron extra on a €45 top up fill) based on dagnut's figures :thumbsup:
I drive to and from england alot and use tesco99 (same as E5) and never notice any differnce! and I do be giving her stick pretty much everywere :headbanger:
I'd go with E5+ 1/3 NF (As the other B4 lads said, B4's couldn't be mapped before E5 came along!) And to be fair I think Daveleggy was the first person to map a B4 in ireland using E5+NF with great results! and if you do ever get caught short of a maxol with E5 then just put abit more NF in with the 95 ron stuff,
Your ecu will adjust itself to cope with the 95 petrol anyway! and then adjust itself back when you go back to what ever it's mapped for afterwards! :thumbsup:
Best of luck either way!
Dan

Thanks for the info lads. so ill think ill get a remap to E5 only.Ive yet to come across a Maxol that isn't selling E5, i rarely go outside Dublin, if i do i have half a case of Lucas left for emergency use! as i said in other posts if you got your car remapped to run on E5 and it exploded because their fuel was not up to standard im sure you could sue them!!! and just for a bit of inside info, all Statoil/Shell/topaz garages will be selling a fuel similar E5 within the next few months :clap:

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=7000.msg81789#msg81789 date=1209602993]
all Statoil/Shell/topaz garages will be selling a fuel similar E5 within the next few months :clap:
[/quote]

Thats good to know, hopefully they wont be as expensive as the maxol's i've to go to

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=7000.msg81743#msg81743 date=1209594855]
i mapped for e5. was mapped for 95+ booster. sure if everyone is saying "95+booster is better" if you get stuck without E5 just use 95 and booster? whats the differnece? i made better gains with e5 on its own over 95 and a FULL bottle of booster..loads of maxols around why have the extra expense and hassle of putting booster in every fill...E5 is not 99 ron but this talk of booster giving you 2 ron is nonsense I seen a proper lab test and the best booster tested NF race formulae(lucas not tested) raised the ron by 2.8 BUT that was a full bottle to 80 litres..claims of a full bottle raising a tank by 6 ron are just that ..claims.
Im no expert far from it just telling my experinces.

[/quote]

Agree yet Andy F reckons half a bottle of Lucas is the same as V-Power. It sounds a bit of a stretch the same way as 6 ron from NF is.

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=7000.msg81785#msg81785 date=1209601253]

(As the other B4 lads said, B4's couldn't be mapped before E5 came along!) And to be fair I think Daveleggy was the first person to map a B4 in ireland using E5+NF with great results!
[/quote]

Sorry Dan ill have to correct you again here, plenty of b4's have been mapped through myself well before E5 came out, Ecutek software has be availble for years for them. What are you messuring the great results against ? or how is it messured even. I hope its not because the guy who owns the car said wow this is great or because someone claimed it was great. 99% of cars feal much better after a map so we cant judge how good it is on how enthusiastic the driver is after being relived of a grand lol. Id be telling myself how great it was to if I just forked that out. Or have you noticed the people who the second they have swaped from one fuel to another think they can see a huge difference. I know your good mates with Dave and all but this is how mis information gets spread around.

Anyway we have mapped cars for E5 ONLY with no booster including Dagnuts car and had good results. Infact Dan just thinking we have mapped more B4's ( and imprezas )in this country then anyone else, The problem with B4 mapping was that they dident react as good as the Imprezas and timing had to be pulled on 95 only and thats why we had hoped that E5 would bridge the gap, They where just to much hassle and took up to much time on 95 only which is why I stopped doing them on 95 only unless the customer was happy enough with having timing pulled. I think Dave posted before that he would not map them without booster or E5.

Andy Forrest wont bother mapping them AT ALL even with good fuel. Pat herborn is very critical and a bit of a perfectionest and tells people whats happening, where as other mappers will just talk themselves up and highlight the good and how great everything is hense the placebo effect people get from a mapper who tells them there car is great = happy customer.

Dagnuts car went well on E5 only. It also went very well on 95 plus booster, Some cars have more DET then others and some make great timing and others dont, you can only go so far on some cars without drasticly reducing the engines life. And on road cars safety first I reckon.

Damo

The most quailified people to comment here are Renno and Davelegacy...they run the mapping days.

My car mapped better than other b4's before because its the 02 model which runs lower compression than previous models therefore less suspetible to knock.
Its not that PAt herborn couldnt map B4's..far from it he just didnt want people to be dissapointed when he pulled timming to make them safe which in turn loses power...I got the same warning from him but i went ahead and results where good.
wrong for Dan to say Bob Rawle was the first to successfully map a B4 in Ireland that type of bullsh!t starts flaming wars...my car was mapped june 07 and made 290+ bhp with no det.
Streetperformance and STI tunning are in direct competition with each other but the lads never get into debates or post against each other and fair play to them...customers shouldnt be getting in the middle and stirring it up especially when they have no backround on it.

We dont want a war here. both Pat Herborn and Bob Ralwe are highly quailified and NONE of us here has the technical knowledge to question them

And then he wonders why he has such a high karma figure :)

Well said Dave, have some more karma for that post :thumbsup:

Back