Oil Change

Niallyboy

Petrolheads
Lads what's the nack to changing Oil in Subaru engines ???
As far as i remember drain out the old, fill with new and then
turn the engine over for 10 seconds............

Am i correct in saying that ???

Niall.

You have to fill the new filter with oil slowly till it overflows and fit it before cranking the engine. Otherwise you can get the knock sensor going mental and retarding the engine... I had that problem a couple of years ago.

I remember reading something about disconnecting a crank case sensor? so that the engine doesnt actually tick over but fresh oil gets pumped around the engine. Then its OK to start.

someone correct me if Im wrong.

Yeah ive heard that aswell. Other take the plugs out and all.

Some people say you don't need to turn the engine over first without it running but id imagine it takes a while to get the pressure up again so I would :dunno:

I read the same, I used do it on the my00 turbo i had but with the bugeye it's harder get at the connector for the crank sensor.,
Just make sure you really fill up the oil filter before putting it on.

Mack

Ok lads this is my prob, got car serviced 3 weeks ago.
And Subaru garage would not use anything but 10w40
as per instructions from Prodrive and they wouldn't budge.
I was working & didn't have the time to twist their arm.

Now the fooken tappetts are going mental and getting worse.
So do i need to fit a new oil filter again ???

And disconnect crank sensor, turn key let oil travell, reconnect & start engine !!!

Is This correct ??

Niall.

hi Niall,

a good 10w40 wont cause your tappets to go mental unless your tappets were worn to begin with. if you use a slightly heavier oil such as 15w50 then the seals in the tappets will be used to that oil. if you then change to 10w40 the tappets would be noisey cause the oil is lighter. an inexpensive and very effective way around the tappet problem is to use 1litre of lucas oil stabiliser and the rest 10w or 15w oil semi or fully synthetic. its a great oil additive and is recommended for high performance cars. made by the same people who make the octane boost.

George

@johnny yeah fook my mistake was in a hurry earlier :oops: :doh: :hang: thanks Johnny :thumbsup:

but same applies Niall you can quiten them down by using a heavier oil or the oil stabiliser or best cure but expensive is to get them re-shimmed.

George

getting back to changing the filter, once you fill the new filter and sump with oil when you turn it over oil pressure is more or less instant no need to disconnect anything, although in the old days people often disconnected the coil lead so the engine did not fire but could be turned over until the oil pressure light went out.

As 555 said is the way to do it, no problems, just let the engine idle and all will be well.

As for serviceing goes at at dealer. The European Block Excemption ruling states that it a car is serviced and repaired by qualified personell using parts of similar quality, that warranty is valid, and that's the law, for Subaru, and everyone else.

How many miles on the car since it was serviced, it sounds like the oil is not up to the job.

The tappet adjustment is a big job alright as the engine has to come out, but if they are noisey they should be done.Checking the clearance can be done without takeing the engine out. The noise is not caused by the gap getting larger, but getting smaller and the flank of the cam lobe strikeing the bucket. next step is the vavle (usually exhast first) not closeing completely.The tappet usually does not wear, it's the valve sitting into the seat more, thus reduceing the valve clearance.

John

as Johnny said. the only proper way around it is to get them re-shimmed but good oil and lucas oil stabiliser will prolong the life of them. if let be eventually it will get harder to start when cold and be missy.

George

Cheers lads :thumbsup:
Had been using for some time now Mobile1 Motorsport 15w 50
as said garage would only use 10w40.

So im confident with correct oil prob solved well at least in the short term.

Thanks lads,

Niall.

Has anyone changed the oil in their gear box and rear diff? I had it changed yesterday and my mechanic said from the smell of the oil it was the original oil and had never been changed. How often should the gearbox and diff oil be changed?

Frawls

i always thought that it was bad for an engine to turn it over when after changing oil, that it is better to star it up and let it tick over without reving it, you wudnt have much oil preesure to pump the oil around the engine when turning it over.. or wud you?? :ponder:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=788.msg6609#msg6609 date=1163727392]
i always thought that it was bad for an engine to turn it over when after changing oil, that it is better to star it up and let it tick over without reving it, you wudnt have much oil preesure to pump the oil around the engine when turning it over.. or wud you?? :ponder:
[/quote]

you cant start the engine and let it tick-over without turning it over :ponder: :ponder:

its fine after changing the oil to start it up and dont touch the throttle until the oil goes out. the oil light goes out as soon as the oil pressure comes up. although if you have an oil cooler fitted it is advisable to disconnect the crank sensor or coil pack to turn it over a few times without starting it as it takes longer for the oil pressure to come due to having to fill the cooler and pipework etc.

george

Frawls i normally have mine changed at every big
service..............10,000 miles or so. Don't know if this
correct but if there going to be charging €€€€€ for a service
i normally make sure all oils are changed.

Niall.

is it just me but i use millers 10/60s fully sythentic i drop oil overnight then get my new filter fill with new oil then put filter back on then top up with about 4.5litres of new oil then fire up?? done it for years now on differant scoobs never ever had a problem with oil lights and disconnecting this and that?? its an oil change!!! does this not sound right????

Back